Chapter 5: Inside the Dark Room

It was in the middle of the day when the Duke personally sent the butler of the house to escort the new duchess toward the dining room.

Wearing a simple yet elegant dark blue off-shoulder dress and a light blue heeled shoes with diamond necklace and earrings, Atallie, with the butler and Eleanor behind, walked towards the left wing dining hall.

The left wing dining hall was located just below the the floor of the Duke's bedroom. Meaning to say, Atallie had to walked from the right wing of the mansion where her room was located towards the left wing. It could be said that the distance between the right and left wing was huge enough to consider it as an exercise if one would decide to go back and forth from one end to another.

The duke is really something.

Atallie could only keep her thoughts to herself as she calmly walked towards the dreaded dining hall while her shoes produced a soft clicking sound against the tiled floor.

After several minutes of walking, they all finally arrived in front of another massive and majestic door.

"We've arrived, Madame. You may enter right away," said the black-haired butler. He calmly stood in front of the door and held it open.

Atallie once again gathered her skirt and walk into the room.

Upon entering, she saw sets of shining and splendid decorations around. The afternoon sunlight passed through the wide opened windows as the golden coloured curtains fluttered with the wind. The dining hall was obviously also a sight to behold. Atallie would have to get used to all the splendor and riches all around her from now on.

When Atallie's eyes landed towards the direction of the table, her cold amber eyes rested on the duke who was seated at the opposite end of the table.

But without even a few seconds, Atallie retrieved her gaze as she slightly bowed her head and said, "Greetings, Duke."

Duke Calex, with his usual pompous and coquettish front spoke, "My wife, there's no need for formal greetings between us."

"If you say so." Without further delay, Atallie nonchalantly sat down at the opposite end of the table.

The aroma of the dishes laid on the table was very inviting and truly delectable. In just one glance, Atallie could tell how special the lunch meal was prepared.

Mm, not bad.

"I would like to talk about our current situation over the meal, would you mind it, my wife?" Duke Calex asked.

"I don't mind. Please go ahead," answered Atallie.

"Very well, let's start eating first." Duke Calex gestured the maids to get out of the room first before he started digging in. Only the butler and Eleanor was left behind. Each one of them stood just behind the duke and the duchess.

Atallie also started digging in. She just picked a few dishes which were closer to her plate. Meanwhile, as the duchess was quietly eating and enjoying the food, the duke was just quietly watching the duchess.

Of course, the duchess was completely aware of the piercing stare of the duke. Nonetheless, she simply ignored it and let the duke to stare as much as he wanted.

After a few bites and eating and staring, Duke Calex opened his mouth and spoke, "There's something that I must show you after the meal."

Glancing up towards the duke, Atallie slightly tilted her head on one side. "I thought we're going to talk about our situation over the meal?" she asked.

"Not anymore. I figured I should show it to you first before anything else," answered the duke.

"Do as you please," Atallie nonchalantly said.