Chapter 22: Bickering

The next day.

As what Sebas had said, Atallie woke up when the morning came.

With a still weak constitution and her sickly pallor that did not even improved after a good night rest, Atallie had to force herself to get up from her bed and drag her body to move.

When she looked around, Atallie found out that there was no one in the room.

Everyone was busy with the duke around, that was what Atallie thought.

Thus, with a throbbing head and low stamina, she dragged herself towards the bathroom to attend on her needs.

However, just as she was about to reach the bathroom door, her sight became blurry that she even stumbled and fell back. But good thing Atallie managed to stabilized herself so her entire frame did not fully meet the ground.

Why am I so weak right now?!
Atallie sneered at herself.

No one knew how utterly bad she was feeling right now. After all, it was not a good thing to feel not like your usual strong and healthy self at all.

She could only grit her teeth and slowly get up from the fall.

However, just as when she was about to stand, the door of her room abruptly flung open.

Atallie's eyes widened at the sight of the man who just came barging in with such a ruckus.

"Del! What are you -"

"Don't speak!" In just a swift motion, Del gently picked up Atallie.

Flabbergasted, Atallie could not speak a word. But what came after, made her truly stupefied.

"Let her go!" Hurried footsteps with the sound of a man's low, deep and stern voice came after.

Don't tell me...

Upon lifting her eyes towards the direction of the voice, Atallie's usual cold and indifferent eyes shook for a moment.

It was the duke. It was truly the duke.

I'm doomed!

Thinking about her current situation wherein she was being carried by someone of the opposite gender that the duke did not even know, while still on her nightgown and vulnerable state, Atallie knew that it was truly inappropriate.

She was flustered for a moment. But thankfully, her rationality did not leave her.

"Del, please bring me to the couch," Atallie spoke. Her eyes meeting with Del's. They seemed to had a tacit understanding in just a glance.

Duke Calex clearly saw this scene. A glint flashed underneath his calm and dark eyes.

Reluctantly, Del let Atallie down on the couch to seat.

"Tallie, this must not go on," Del spoke. His gentle voice was soothing, yet Atallie knew that he was mad this time. She also knew what he was referring to.

"I know, just step aside for now. I have to speak with the duke," Atallie said with a sigh. She signalled Del to leave the room for a moment.

Del knew what he must do. Thus, upon seeing Atallie's signal, he exited the room without even glancing at Duke Calex who was silently and calmly standing inside.

Del even respectfully closed the door when he left.

"Duke - cough, ahem," Atallie's throat was dry and rough at the moment.

She needed some water but thinking about getting up to get herself a glass, which was troublesome due to her jelly legs, or asking the duke to help her get some, Atallie could not decide what to do.