Chapter 30: The Mark

"What?" Duke Calex asked with a deep frown on his still stunning yet currently pale face.

"The Mistress left a mark on Your Grace," Sebas reiterated.

"A mark? The Mistress left me a mark? What does it mean?"

Sebas took a seat but his gleaming dark eyes were not leaving the faint rose symbol at the back of the left hand of the duke. It was as if he was trying to solve a puzzle by staring at it.

"This simply means that the Mistress has put a hook on Your Grace," Sebas said.

"Is this dangerous?" Duke Calex asked. Although he was not certain behind the motives of the mistress when she helped him, Duke Calex still wanted to believe that the mistress meant no harm. Yet, Duke Calex would always choose not to trust anyone in an instant and as much as possible, not to trust anyone at all.

"Your Grace, this could go both ways," Sebas smirked. "First of all, it was unheard that the formidable Mistress of the Wizard Tower ever cared to do something like this to any of the prominent people in this kingdom. Second, her motives are unknown and questionable. Why saved you? After saving you, she brought you back here. So, why is there still a need to leave a mark?" Sebas laid out his thoughts in the open.

"Not to mention, it seemed that she was fully aware of your condition. In the end, she even gave something to Her Grace to help you," he continued.

Estian, who was being quiet all this time, took a step forward as he spoke, "That's right, Your Grace. Even I cannot tell her motives."

"Until then, it is necessary to be fully guarded against the Mistress until we determine whether she is a friend or a foe," Estian continued.

Sebas smirked as he added, "...or both."

Duke Calex threw a sidelong glance at Sebas and Estian.

Both were right. The motives of the Mistress were unknown. Helping the duke didn't necessarily mean that she was on his side. After all, just like what Sebas had said, it was unheard when the Mistress became involved in anything or anyone outside her sphere of influence.

Thus, Duke Calex knew exactly what his two trusted subordinates meant.

But there was one thing he was curious about.

"Will this mark be able to affect me directly?" Duke Calex asked.

"Like what I said, Your Grace, this mark could mean both. It could bring you danger or protection. It all depends on the motives of the Mistress," said Sebas. "However, if Your Grace is asking about any direct effect of the mark, that is, the aura of the Mistress is now visibly surrounding you and is with Your Grace," Sebas continued.

Seeing the unchanging frown on the duke's face, Sebas sighed in exasperation. Why was it that he had to explain to this person who was not really interested in anything about magic?

"Your Grace, this mark means that the Mistress had put a hook on you and her aura is one with you. Wherever Your Grace goes, her aura could also be traced back to where you went to. The Mistress could also know your every move and word whenever she wanted to. That is if she had this motive from the very beginning. At the same time, if the Mistress meant no harm at all, through her mark, she would be able to help Your Grace from sudden danger should you need protection," Sebas further explained.

Both Duke Calex and Estian were dumbfounded. It was evident on their expression that they had never heard of such a thing, especially the duke who was one of the most informed people in the kingdom.

This was in line with what Sebas had said. What the Mistress did was truly unheard of. At least in the Hartize Kingdom, that was for sure.

A person bearing the mark of a wizard?