Chapter 9: The Power Behind

In Azure Sylva Continent, magical powers existed. The entire continent was filled with MaËn or the magical energy mixed and pulsating in the air around.

MaËn existed together with the power of the four elements - water, wind, fire and earth. The magical energy was together with the power of the elements in the air.

However, not everyone in the continent was able to breathe in MaËn. Only those people who were born with innate ability to distinguish the magical energy from the natural air and see the twinkling orbs of light that signified the elements were able to breathe in MaËn and acquire magical powers from the elements.

And those people who had this innate ability of collecting and converging the magical energy based on their innate elemental resonance were called Wizards.

Wizards could either be a man or a woman wielding magical powers. But for particular distinction, Wizard men were addressed as Wizards and Wizard women were addressed as Wizardess.

A Wizard or a Wizardess could possess an innate ability of resonance with one element or two elements and even more.

In the entire continent of Azure Sylva, a common Wizard could only possess an innate ability of resonance for one element. Those who possessed resonance for two elements were considered as rare talents. And those who possessed more than two were either considered as a waste or a genius.

Because acquiring magical powers were not as easy as it sounded like. Wizards could access MaËn and see the twinkling orbs of light in the air that signified the elements - blue for Water element, yellow for the Wind element, red for the Fire element and green for the earth Element.

In order for a Wizard to successfully obtain magical powers, one would need to breathe in MaËn and collect the twinkling orbs of light which were the particles that represented the elements according to one's innate resonance.

If a Wizard has an innate resonance towards the Water element, despite of all the elements that were present in the surroundings, the Wizard could only collect the blue twinkling orbs of light that were just as small as an average fingernail.

Breathing in MaËn and collecting the elemental orbs was one thing. But converging both into one's own energy was the another thing.

A Wizard could recharge one's magical powers by breathing in MaËn and guiding this magical energy to merge into one's own energy.

Whereas in order to practice one's magical powers and reach a new level and rank of magic needed both efforts of breathing in MaËn and collecting the elemental orbs simultaneously.

To breathe in MaËn and collect the elemental orbs and guiding both into one's own energy was the process of practicing one's magical powers.

If a Wizard would be able to successfully guide and converge both into his own energy, one could attain a new level or rank in magic.

The success rate of converging was never determined. If a Wizard has a strong resonance with the element, most likely that Wizard could succeed on his practice.

Besides, everything would required time. If Wizards needed to reach new level or rank, they would need to seclude themselves in order to make time for practicing. 

However, this does not mean that a Wizard could collect as much elemental orbs because the amount that a Wizard could collect varied depending on the current rank of magic that one has. Thus, if one was a mere beginner, there was only a very minimal amount of elemental orbs one could collect. The amount was only sufficient for a first level Novice Rank. If the beginner would try to forcefully exceed the sufficient amount, a mishap was bound to happen. Forcing to collect more orbs than one's current limit was like trying to eat more than you can chew.