Chapter 19: The Duchess' Authority

Duchess Atallie, who seemed so helpless on the ground with her pale and startled appearance, unbeknownst to anyone, was already beaming on the inside.

What great timing.

She was satisfied with her little antics.

But wait, the show was yet to finish.

Atallie's gaze swept past the stunned Janette and the little maid who was now in panic by being caught in the act of mistreating and disrespecting the duchess.

Janette knew that she couldn't do anything anymore. It was her fault for tolerating Tae to the point that she grew bolder and bolder. Now, she could only suffer from her own shortcomings.

Leonor and Lila couldn't be bothered by how the faces of the other party looked like. They quickly went forward and help the duchess up.

"Your Grace, are you alright?" Lila was in a panic as she swiftly check on the duchess for any possible bruise or wound as she gently patted off the dust and dirt on the duchess' dress.

Leonor was also doing the same. But she was more composed and calm than Lila in panic. However, deep inside, she was also truly worried. She was well aware that the duchess has just recovered and it was not an easy road to take. Because of it, every day, they had to report to the duke without missing anything, making sure that the duchess was taken good care of.

It surely was not an easy road.

It was a tricky one!

Leonor was also aware that during those times, other than observing the duchess and taking some notes down for reporting, she noticed that with all of these, the duke somehow seemed to care for the duchess.

But alas, Leonor could only speculate.

After all, she would not be able to fully understand the duke.

She only knew that the duchess should not suffer at any cost or even feel aggrieved. Thinking up to this point, Leonor's stern and sharp eyes landed on both Janette and Tae.

With fury underneath her sharp gaze, she only said a sentence, but her meaning was clear with warning and danger. "Get back and wait for punishment."

When Janette heard Leonor's words, it was like being condemned right away without any trial. But she knew that they were caught in the act. Thus, no need for any questions.

She could now only wait for the punishment.

"I understand," Janette answered with her head lowered. She wanted to speak words of apologies to the duchess, but she knew that it was not needed at the moment. So she could only bitterly drag her maidservant for them to finally leave the Hall of Hues.

Seeing the two figures disappearing, Leonor huffed in annoyance and dissatisfaction.

It was actually the first time that Atallie saw such a scene. She knew that Leonor must truly be annoyed this time. From this, Atallie believed that Leonor was now already caught under her charm.

Leonor was a tough nut to crack. She was strong-willed, strict, and meticulous. With her stern look and old but sharp eyes, Leonor was not someone who could easily get along with someone.

However, during the days when Atallie spent most of her time with Leonor, Atallie's performance and behavior were both impressive and satisfactory. But above all, Atallie has not done any actions that could go against the interest of the duke.

Thus, Leonor could not help but accept the duchess in her heart. But of course, this didn't mean that her loyalty now lies with the duchess. This could only mean that Atallie has now gained authority in Leonor's heart.