Chapter 6: The Rusty Locket

The eerily silent room became still for a few seconds.

Both the duke and the duchess remained unmoved but their auras and presence were obviously clashing against one another.

However, before the situation became more serious, the pitch black room suddenly lit up.

"Forgive me, I forgot to turn on the lights," Duke Calex said casually as if nothing happened.

Atallie chose not to retort as usual.

As she looked around, Atallie noticed that the interior of the room was completely in contrast with the rich gold and blue motif of the duke's room. Instead, the room was grandly decorated in immaculate white and gold. It looked so refreshing and blindingly lavish both at the same time.

From the walls, floorings and the posts to the furniture and the upholsteries, the combination of white and gold could be seen everywhere.

Walking towards the white Cabriole sofa with golden rims, Atallie sat down casually while quietly taking in the immaculate secret room. She didn't even bother to pay attention to what the duke was currently doing.

However, this was not the same for the duke. Duke Calex, while still paying attention on how the duchess was behaving, went towards the nightstand and retrieved a small red jewelry box just a size of a woman's palm.

With a stern expression and heavy aura, gone was the promiscuous character of the duke, only his fierce and strong aura was left wafting around him.

Duke Calex sat down beside Atallie. They were close enough to each other that their clothes were almost touching. But both seemed to be undisturbed by that small detail this time.

The duke placed down the jewelry box on the table as Atallie nonchalantly glanced down on it.

Yet, the moment that Duke Calex opened the red jewelry box, Atallie's usual cold and emotionless eyes widened for a second. And that moment was so fleeting that even the duke was not able to caught that reaction from the duchess.

Atallie quickly composed herself and asked in her usual indifferent and calm tone, "What is that?"

Duke Calex, with his eyes still fixated on the table said, "This will determine if you're the person that I need to look for."

What the heck is that supposed to mean.

Atallie's thoughts were already raging when she first saw the thing inside the box. And now, hearing what the duke had just said, streams of thoughts were flowing out in her mind.

"Could you enlighten me, duke?" Atallie asked.

"A woman gave this to me," Duke Calex started.

"A woman gave you a rusty locket?" Atallie asked with her eyes glued on the rusty locket inside the jewelry box.

"Yes," Duke Calex said. He then looked towards Atallie. "And I'm not supposed to show this to you if it wasn't for confirmation and great importance," he added.

"Then, what is it for?" On the inside, Atallie was really aching for answers. The rusty locket and the words of the duke somehow sent alarms in her mind.

"This is a locket but it hasn't been opened since it has been given to me," said the duke.

"Why it hasn't been opened? Isn't it just a locket?" Come on, don't drag this thing! Atallie could only try to play innocent and nonchalant as usual while already itching for explanations.

"I can't open it."

"Why can't you open it? Aside from the two small blue gems on it, it is just an old rusty locket," said Atallie.