Chapter 23: Missing

It was a cold and dreary morning.

Outside the far western border of the Kingdom of Hartize.

Gloom and darkness were thick in the air. A pungent smell from the miasma was floating around. The land was reeking of the stench of the pooling blood of the monsters.

However, amid the murky and bloodstained forest, and scattered carcasses of monsters which has been slashed and dismembered, a few people could be seen in the discussion.

"The work here is already done haha! At last, I can finally go back and enjoy some rest!" A burly man with tan skin and a scar across his neck said with a peal of loud laughter.

"Old man, if we didn't join the few of you here, how long do you think you'll have to stay here?" A man dressed in full black asked in contempt.

"Who are you calling an old man?! Kid, if you dare to fight me with your bare hands, come up now and I'll beat you! You'll see whether I'm old or not!" The man erupted in anger.

"Ha! What's so good about wasting my strength with you?" The man in black snorted.

"You! –" the burly man with a scar was just about to pounce at the man in black, but a young man came in front to hold him back.

"It's truly a relief that we have received such help at the most critical time. If it weren't for your timely assistance, we might indeed be held up here for a longer time," a young man calmly and kindly said.

"What are you talking about? What critical time? Aren't we just doing the usual and we have all the time that we need! It's just that they came and immediately swept the entire place!" The burly man bellowed.

"Ha! Just be thankful that your job is already done sooner than later," the man in black retorted. Though calm, his sarcasm could not be hidden in his tone.

The burly man was obviously annoyed with his tone and was just about to forcefully get away from the young man who was holding him back when a low, deep, and cold voice swept at them.

"Enough. What are you all making noise about?" A man with striking fiery red hair and unfathomable deep dark eyes walked towards them. His face was the most dangerously beautiful face among the masses of men yet with his ruthless aura and present stern expression, no one would and could dare to approach him carelessly.

"Your Grace," the young man greeted.

That was right. The man with fiery red hair and very handsome yet cold and stern face was none other than His Grace, Duke Calex himself!

"Are you already done contacting the estate?" Sebas asked. He was the man dressed in full black. Surprisingly, he was not wearing his blue cape this time.

"Yes," Duke Calex briefly answered.

"Is she still not back?" The burly man asked.

"Old man Gaston, if Her Grace is already back, why would His Grace's expression now be as black as the fog in here?" Sebas asked, mocking the old man named Gaston.

"I was asking the duke and not you!" Gaston gritted his teeth at Sebas.

"Enough. Wrap up everything here and we will go straight to the palace," said Duke Calex. His voice was low and stern and his handsome face was impassive as he spoke.

"Are we going to attend His Majesty's birthday celebration?" Sebas asked in doubt. As far as he knew, Duke Calex initially intended not to attend the king's birthday celebration. And yet, now the duke spoke differently.

"Finally! Great food is awaiting us!" Gaston exclaimed with bright eyes.

"Sir Advisor, if others would have heard of your words, they might misunderstand the meaning," the young man said courteously chided the old man Gaston.