Chapter 45: The Gift of the Mistress

At one of the main gates and borders of the Kingdom of Hartize.

It was a quiet night.

Despite all the carcasses of the monsters scattered around the vicinity of the camp near the headquarters, and the echoing of the soldiers' and knights' shouts and the slashing of the swords at the nearby forest right outside the border, everything seemed to be as good as it could be...

...or was it not?

At the side of His Grace The Duke of Kargaz, Calex Hexon Tygart.

Sebas was pacing back and forth inside the tent of Duke Calex.

He just received an urgent report that monsters kept on coming, wave by wave, although still at a tolerable amount, they were even greater in numbers than yesterday and the other days before.

This only proved that the 'Green Tide' was coming earlier than usual.

Much earlier than usual.

"It's not looking good. His Grace will only wake up tomorrow morning. Even if he wakes up, he will have to rest up for a few days before he could even fight again..." Sebas murmured to himself. There was no one else inside the room aside from him and the duke. After all, everyone was preoccupied at the front line.

No one else was available. In fact, he should not be in the room as well. After all, the soldiers and knights were in need of his powers as well.

However, Sebas knew his priorities. He could not just leave the duke behind with all the turmoil around.

With a gloomy face and sunken eyes that seemed to screamed out fatigue and anxiety, Sebas could only drink cup after cup of tea to try to calm himself down.

Although the situation was still manageable, no one could tell how much it could change as the time passed by.

And this was what Sebas was worried about. He could not just leave the slumbering duke behind in an unpredictable situation.

But what made him more frustrated was that he could not do anything about it.

Sebas thought that maybe he could just send the duke away back to the estate. Yet, it would be against the duke's command and his duties.

Of course, the duke himself, the main commander of the knight's forces could not just leave his subordinates behind, right?

Besides, the soldiers sent by His Majesty The King would surely know the matter once the duke left.

And it would definitely not sit right with the king, no matter the reason.

Moreover, the king might take this opportunity to target the duke. It might also let the king find out about this unusual condition of the duke.

His Majesty The King would surely take advantage of everything that he could use against the duke.

Thus, Sebas was caught in a bind. They could only send the soldiers to the farthest location that they could while only let the duke's knights wander around. With this arrangement, none of the soldiers might see the duke whether he was still alive or kicking or laying unconscious inside his tent.

It was only the case since yesterday midnight and until the duke woke up from his coma.

For Sebas, not being able to help the duke with his condition and letting him suffer for already a long time since he started working with the duke, was one of the things that he needed to solve.

One of the reasons why Sebas chose to stay with the duke was because of this mysterious condition of Duke Calex.

He could not fathom what could alleviate the pain, to shorten the effect, and how to simply solve it.