Chapter 27: Matters of the Heart

Before Atallie realized what she was doing, her delicate lips had already touched Duke Calex's pale lips. Upon realizing what she had just done, she hurriedly stood away from the bed with a bewildered look on her usual calm and indifferent face. Her amber eyes also flashed a different glint underneath.

What am I doing? I must have read too many romance novels when I was just idling around!

She remembered that even when she was still young, reading had always been one of her few hobbies, particularly reading romance novels. Later on, it became her quick escape from the usual flow of her life.

Looking outside to distract herself, Atallie saw how it was still early in the morning yet her action was already too bold. She became even more embarrassed.

Ha! Those rotten books! If I knew they would influence me like this, I must have never allowed them to be at that place in the first place.

Atallie quietly nodded at herself as she got herself a glass of water to clear her throat.

Glancing down towards the unconscious duke, who was always so full of arrogance and fiery temper, and was now lying unconscious at the bed, Atallie could not help but pity the duke.

At the same time, Atallie also empathized with him, knowing that his condition was closely similar to her.

During the several weeks when she was away and recuperating, Atallie had to take care of several matters and this special opportunity had also helped her stabilize herself in every aspect.

The matters of the heart and mind were also taken into consideration.
However, Atallie would let nature take its course and not force certain things. But this didn't mean that she would take things lightly.

For Atallie, actions could bring results. Not words or wishful thinking. Hence, she decided to not be idle as well when it comes to dealing with the duke.

Atallie's train of thought was suddenly halted after hearing a knock on the door.

She adjusted herself and put down the now empty glass of water. "Come in."

Estian walked in and slightly bowed as he said, "Your Grace, I apologize to keep you waiting."

"Not at all. Are you certain that you don't need any rest?" Atallie asked as she looked at the refreshed image of Estian in his new set of butler clothes. It was as if he didn't stay up all night.

"Thank you for your concern, Your Grace. I am certain that I am alright and can take good care of His Grace. I will also have to transfer His Grace to his inner bedroom," Estian politely said with a gentle smile on his impeccable face.

"Do you mean the white room?" Atallie asked.

"Yes, Your Grace," Estian answered.

Glancing back at the pale and unconscious duke, Atallie could not help but ask. "Does the duke usually suffer like this? What exactly happened to him?"

Estian froze as she looked at Atallie with an apologetic smile, "Forgive me, Your Grace, no one is allowed to speak anything about His Grace other than himself, especially concerning this matter," he said.

"Is that so?"

"Yes, Your Grace. Perhaps, did the mistress say anything about His Grace's condition?" Estian asked.

"The mistress?" Atallie asked.

"Yes, Mistress Allieah, the wizardess, the mistress of the Blue Ray Tower. She was the one who brought the duke at your doorstep."

"Oh, is that who she is?" Atallie asked. Her confused expression could not be any more different from her usual cold and impassive expression.

"Yes, before she left us, Mistress Allieah even told us that she will give you something to improve His Grace's condition. Has she done anything like that?" Estian carefully asked. He was quite bothered whether the mistress of the tower truly knew something about the duke's condition and if she already blabbered anything about it toward the duchess.