Chapter twenty four

"Are you okay?" Snowblaze ran up to her and sniffed her white pelt, concern deep in his amber eyes "You look upset."

"Like you would care..." Tangletuft muttered and Snowblaze inched closer. His tangy breath stinging her nostrils as he spoke.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing." Tangletuft replied, her eyes drooping of exhaustion. The fight with Graystar, Grasspelt and Rabbitfoot exhausted her. Partly because she was the only one who really talked.

"Really now?" Snowblaze pressed, sitting down in the warriors' bedding and looking up "Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure." Tangletuft snapped, hesitating before laying beside him, turning away from him. She looked at her Clanmates, all talking and casting
glances at each other. How could they stand keeping a secret from a Clanmate for so long?

"You know," Snowblaze paused, his voice fading into a whisper "If anything was ever wrong you know you can tell me right?"

Tangletuft just scrunched her face into her chest fur, holding in her loud tongue. She inhaled a large breath "Yeah I know." She calmly replied, her voice edging higher as she spoke.

Snowblaze sighed, before slowly edging closer to her. Silence took over the two of them. Tangletuft felt his soft fur on hers before he placed his muzzle on her side, laying his head on her fur.

Tangletuft just slowly edged away. She heard a sigh from Snowblaze and without turning around, she saw his hurt look on his face in her head. It haunted her through her sleep that night.

•••

"I would like Foxgaze to take Mudheart, Pricklefur and Tangletuft towards the RiverClan border. Mark it well." She heard Grasspelt announce and she nodded, she could finally get away from Snowblaze and the others. Even if these cats knew about the prophecy at least she didn't know them that well. That would help right?

"Let's go," Tangletuft felt Mudheart nudge her, making her slightly fall but luckily regained her balance and padded towards the barrier that led towards the territory.

Before she left, she caught a glance from Snowblaze, who sat with Featherfall and Smoketail. The two locked glances before Tangletuft turned away, leaving Snowblaze for the territory. 

Tangletuft followed Foxgaze at a slightly faster than leisurely pace towards the border, not knowing if she'd see RiverClan or not.
But none the less, she let the tall grass tickle her sides as she marched in the grass, letting their tipped edges slide across her matted pelt.

As the cats began to near the RiverClan border, the fur on the back of Tangletuft's neck began to naturally rise upwards. She didn't know why, but since the conflict with Sageclaw, Tangletuft despised going near the RiverClan border. She had told herself it was because she was angry at RiverClan for taking her sister. But deep down inside Tangletuft was fearful that RiverClan would kidnap her, as they did to Sageclaw.

"Okay," Foxgaze turned around suddenly, piercing the patrol with her harsh green eyes "Pricklefur and I will travel up this side of the border to mark it. Tangletuft and Mudheart you two will go down the border to the lake and mark. We meet back here before dawn ends. Agreed?"

The four cats nodded before separating into their separate groups. Tangletuft felt awkward around Mudheart. She had never spoken to this cat for all her life. I really need to talk to more cats. Tangletuft pledged, nodding her head internally.

"Are you ready?" Mudheart asked, flashing Tangletuft a warm look.

Tangletuft nodded "Of course."