Chapter thirty eight

Tangletuft groomed her fur near the exit of camp. The full moon was shaded into a pink and orange fuzzy background. They would definitely have to leave soon for the gathering or they'd be late.

Sageclaw bounced up to her with her apprentice. The two seemed lively and energized, as if they were both apprentices.

"Having a good time there Sageclaw?" Tangletuft teased, earning herself a scorching look from her sister "Sorry sorry." She giggled, and Sageclaw slowly joined her.

"I'm just really excited that's all." Sageclaw replied, bouncing on her white paws "This is my first gathering with an apprentice."

Mistpaw, Sageclaw's apprentice, just nodded, a smug look clearly plastered on her face. The young she-cat was obviously proud of herself.

"I'm excited to go too." Sageclaw spun on her heels to see Crowflight standing with his apprentice Stormpaw.
Sageclaw almost tripped on her own four paws as she saw the muscular tom. Tangletuft could've sworn she saw hearts dancing around Sageclaw's golden head.

"We both have apprentices so we'll be spending a lot of time together." Sageclaw awkwardly changed the subject and Crowflight lifted an eyebrow bone.

"Ahh yes we will," He began to purr. Yes purr. Tangletuft sat there surprised as he purred. Crowflight sounded like a mother purring to his kits "I'm looking forward to that."

Sageclaw giggled before Crowflight nodded curtly. The young tom then began padding in the opposite direction towards a pack of warriors. His apprentice followed.

"Well isn't he charming?" Tangletuft teased and Sageclaw jumped, rounding on her heels and facing her sister with round and surprised eyes.

"What? No. He's just being nice!" Sageclaw protested, flinching as Tangletuft rose a paw in defiance.

"No he isn't. He likes you! And the whole Clan knows that you like him too." Tangletuft pointed out, flashing Sageclaw a teasing glare.

"No he doesn't." Sageclaw protested, her ears bending onto her head.

Tangletuft just teasingly stared at her sister. Silence edged over the two sisters before Sageclaw gave in "Fine... Maybe he likes me."

Tangletuft was about to laugh when Graystar's deep voice surrounded the cats around him "We are leaving for the gathering now! All cats I called to go gather near the exit. Redwhisker, Dapplefoot, Splotchfur and Berryfall will hold their vigil and guard camp tonight. But other than that, I'll give you a few moments to organize yourselves before we leave."

And Tangletuft watched as cats poured into the clearing, separating their different ways into the gathering group, or tiny groups of mingling cats around them. She stayed silent the whole time, excitement shaking her paws.

As if her shaking in her own pelt wasn't enough, when Snowblaze bent out of the warriors' den, her heart skipped a beat. She didn't know why, but the white tom had always been intriguing. She had always wanted to know more about him.
But she knew she couldn't. She knew he'd only payed attention to her because of that stupid prophecy. She knew he didn't actually care for her.
A pang of anger sparked in her mind, before she quickly set it out as Graystar padded to the front of the group.

He beckoned the group with his scraggly and scarred gray tail before he lead them out of camp, to where the full moon shone brightly on the backs of the cats.

Tangletuft walked with Sageclaw at first. The two had said a few words before her apprentice Mistpaw rushed ahead. Sageclaw gave her a look of apology before running after her apprentice. Tangletuft watched as her sister's mouth move as she scolded the apprentice.