Chapter one

If you like this story could you please tell your friends about it? PLEASE!

Thanks, Tangletuft

•••••••••••

"Tanglekit! Move out of our way you stupid furball!" Smokekit whined, scraping her small, thorn-sharp claws on the camp floor.

"Yeah Tanglekit! I was about to shred this ThunderClan kittypet!" Snowkit complained, flashing a glance at Smokekit playfully and sticking his tongue out.

"I thought I was the WindClan leader and you were the ThunderClan kittypet!" Smokekit raced around Tanglekit and pounced onto Snowkit. The two littermates erupted in yowls in a tumble of black and white fur.

The sun shined in the clearing as yellow grass brimmed the edges of the camp. Leaf-bare would be soon and when it came, Tanglekit would be an apprentice. She would be training to be the best warrior in the forest.

Around her, some senior warriors were sharing tongues or sharing a plump rabbit. Everything looked so peaceful in camp. Sometimes, Tanglekit couldn't imagine ever leaving camp. Even for just a border patrol or to hunt.

Suddenly, Tanglekit felt tiny teeth fastening into her flank and her heartbeat quickened. The teeth pulled her backwards and Tanglekit squeaked in terror "Let go of me!" She unsheathed her claws, getting ready to stick them in the cat behind her who dared to pull her back.

But the teeth let go "You looked like a twoleg-kit when I was pulling you back." Breezekit, Tanglekit's littermate laughed between pants "And you're also much heavier than I thought you would be."

Tanglekit sheathed her claws and turned on her heels "Don't scare me like that! I could've shredded you to bits!" She snarled, the terror she felt a few moments earlier faded into anger.

"I'd like to see you try!" Breezekit puffed out his chest "I'm going to be the best warrior in the forrest!"

"You can be the best warrior all you want because I'll be the leader of WindClan!" Tanglekit stuck out her tongue.

"No I'll be leader! I'll tell you a million reasons why!" Breezekit huffed and began blabbering about reasons he would become leader instead of Tanglekit.

Time seemed to fidget around her as Breezekit blabbered on. Tanglekit zoned out, pictures around her moving and spinning, stopping and going, colours changing, shapes deforming as the time began to stretch out then seemed to stop entirely. Tanglekit blinked and the pictures seemed to go back to reality a little bit, only to get sucked back into the zone, watching Breezekit's moving mouth while the rest of his body was still as stone. Was she that bored from her own littermate?

"Are you even listening to me Tanglekit? I said we need to go eat!" Breezekit flashed Tanglekit back to reality for good this time.

"Huh? Oh yeah... I'm coming!" Tanglekit scrambled up the ledge of the nursery and entered, feeling blinded by her zone out.

Willowflight lay in the middle of the mossy den, on her side.

Tanglekit's sister Sagekit was already suckling on her mother's belly.

"How come Snowkit and Smokekit get to eat fresh-kill? That's not fair!" Breezekit whined, sitting down and pawing Willowflight's belly, a disgusted look in his expression.

Tanglekit rolled her eyes at her brother and plopped down onto the moss bedding.

•••

"Hey Sagekit! Hey Tanglekit! Guess what!" A silvery apprentice scampered up to the two she-kits.

"What?" Sagekit asked, her blue eyes as big as moons.

"I asked my mentor when I was going to the moonpool and he said I could go tonight!" The silvery she-cat purred "I'm so excited!"

All Tanglekit did was roll her eyes Featherpaw never stops boasting.

But her sister Sagekit unfortunately, bought the act "Really? I wish I could go! You're so lucky Featherpaw! I wish I was an apprentice!"

"I know. When you are apprentices as well as Snowkit and Smokekit the apprentices' moss beds will be too crowded! We might need to make two moss areas for apprentices!" Featherpaw mewed, holding her head high, she continued "I have to go get some traveling herbs, see you two!" Featherpaw bounded away from the two kits and into the medicine cat den where Tanglekit heard Rabbitfoot, the medicine cat of the Clan, murmur things to Featherpaw.

"Isn't Featherpaw great?" Sagekit mewed "I want to be just like her when I'm an apprentice."

Oh great. Two cocky she-cats. Tanglekit thought sarcastically but she held her tongue and just nodded back.

"Tanglekit!" Tanglekit heard a yowl from the opposite end of camp and she turned on her heels and saw Foxgaze, Rustlestep and Silverblaze, the three eldest warriors in the Clan. But they all seemed to be asleep.

What was that? Tanglekit asked herself, turning around she shook off the thought and padded with her sister Sagekit back into the nursery.