Chapter twenty eight

Tangletuft's eyes burst open and she stared at the medicine cat den around her. Immediately she raised her head, confused for a moment.

Oh. She thought, now remembering what had happened.

The RiverClan warrior had pushed her into the water and she began to drown as he gave punches at her.
In the middle of the story, where the cat had hit her began to ache. She cringed, the pain slowly going away.
Once she had finally gotten to the surface, Mossyfoot dunked her head back into the water by surprise and she remembered swallowing loads of water.
After that all she remembered was a white and fluffy cat picking her up and running towards camp, where her eyes closed on the way there.

And now, she was in the medicine cat den.

But at least she was safe now. Well obviously safer than she was in the battle.

Tangletuft suddenly heard a rustle from the entrance and she turned her head towards the hanging grass in the den entrance, curious about who it might be.

Sageclaw and Breezefoot squeezed their way into the den, bickering over who got through first. But eventually, the two young warriors were in the den and they gazed at their littermate, pity in their eyes.

"I'm good thank you," Tangletuft scoffed playfully, dangling a white paw "I can feel my paws."

"Yeah..." Breezefoot commented, his eyes glued to a spot on Tangletuft's body. It was her side.

She looked to her side and there lay a huge open wound. Two tiny circles sat beside each other, and she guessed it was two of the RiverClan warrior's claw marks. Blood crusted around the ridges as the now opened again wound trickled a few droplets of scarlet blood. Tangletuft stared at it, and just froze. She stayed frozen for quite sometime, not knowing how to react.

"Is she awake?" Rabbitfoot cascaded into the den, freezing as well when he saw Tangletuft and her littermates "Don't worry," He soothed, slowly padding up to her "You'll be good as new in no time."

"What happened?" Tangletuft gaped, not taking her eyes off of the wound. It was just so disgusting. The reds and purples just mixed together on her raw pink skin as the two claw marks began to bleed once more, and a stinging pain awaited her. She cringed, the pain harsh.

"Let me help you," Rabbitfoot meowed and without another word, he left for the herb storage and came out a few moments later with medicine in his jaws. He quickly placed them beside her before he got to work.

The work seemed interesting and precise. Two things Tangletuft wasn't good at being. But it was intriguing to watch. She could never imagine doing it for herself.

"How long was I out?" Tangletuft asked as Rabbitfoot neared the end of his work.

Rabbitfoot bit on a leaf, squishing his eyes together as he did so before squeezing stinging juice into her wound, making her cringe for the third time "Not long," He commented "The battle happened at sunrise and now it's sunset. I'm surprised how quickly you woke up."

"That's not even a day," Tangletuft began to purr "That means I'm recovering quickly and I can go back to warrior duties soon?"

Rabbitfoot let out a pitiful laugh "Not even close."

"What?" Tangletuft mouthed, tilting her head to the side.

"With a wound like that," Rabbitfoot motioned towards her wound with his head, making her feel small "You will be off duties for at least a half moon."

"A half moon?" The three littermates echoed in unison, flashing each other confused and surprised looks.

Rabbitfoot just shook his head, monitoring the three cats "But don't worry," He chirped "At least you can play with those four kits and help me sort herbs for a whole half moon." He chuckled, awkwardly twitching afterwards.