Chapter nine

The full moon shone brightly above head the cluster of cats that were in it. Most fidgeted and acted grumpy toward the cold night while others, mostly new warriors and apprentices, giggled and talked under the truce.

Tanglepaw didn't know where to go. There was countless cats here! What if she picked the grumpiest out of them all.

"Remember don't reveal anything secretive about your Clan. That includes our techniques and your sickness in the past." The voice of Darkwing beamed in her mind. Her black furred mentor had told her those words before they reached the island. Tanglepaw promised she wouldn't reveal anything.

Right in the moment, a herd of apprentices came bundling over, sniffing her curiously.

"Ha! The little WindClan apprentice is scared!" A tom who smelled of ThunderClan chuckled, turning to the other apprentices behind him "Alright guys, we know WindClan, those rabbit scaredy fox-dungs are having a hard leaf-bare so I think we can-"

"Stop it Robinpaw!" A lithe she-cat, smelling strongly of ShadowClan mewed, turning to stare at Tanglepaw with her glowing gray eyes "What's your name? I'm Sparkpaw."

"Er... I'm Tanglepaw."

"That's a nice name." Sparkpaw murmured then without hesitation glanced coldly at Robinpaw behind her "You have to excuse him. He can be rude sometimes. Well other than Robinpaw, there's a few other apprentices who are here tonight. Want to see them?"

Tanglepaw nodded, feeling boldly brave.

"Alright let's go over here," Sparkpaw led the way across the crowded clearing, leaving Robinpaw behind them.

"So over there near the tree stump is Splashypaw from RiverClan." She gestured her tail to a mottled brown muscular tom. Although his name sounded cute and fluffy, he surely wasn't. "And around him is Blackpaw from ThunderClan and well you should know that's Smokepaw from your Clan."

"How many apprentices are there?" Tanglepaw asked, looking at the pretty she-cat beside her.

"Well currently there are four in RiverClan and ThunderClan, three from my Clan and five from your Clan."

"How do you remember all of this?" Tanglepaw asked, taking a seat in the middle of the clustered cats with Sparkpaw beside her.

"I know the names of all the cats in the forest. Except for newly born kits of course. My mentor says I'm weird for it but I just like remembering things."

"Well Sparkpaw I think you're weird for it too." Tanglepaw paused, erupting into laughter "Just kidding!"

"You silly furball!" Sparkpaw hit Tanglepaw playfully on the top of the head.

"Let the gathering begin!" Graystar yowled, looking at the cats below. "Would ThunderClan like to start?"

"Yes," Treestar stepped forward on his branch "ThunderClan is happy to say that even though this leaf-bare is leading into overtime, our Clan is still strong as ever. Jayflight gave birth to four new kits and we have two new apprentices, Cloudpaw and Sweetpaw."

Tanglepaw stared towards the two apprentices that Sparkpaw hadn't named. The two small apprentices sat with their heads held high.

"That is all for ThunderClan. ShadowClan? Would you like to go next?" Treestar looked towards Robinstar.

"Certainly," Robinstar puffed out his chest fur then began speaking "ShadowClan is doing well, although we don't have many new kits, we have many queens. In a few moons we'll have dozens of apprentices and a whole new rank of warriors. That is all."

"RiverClan will go next." Mossystar said, readjusting her place on the branch "We have been strong this past moon. Earning loads of prey. Unfortunately, one of our queens gave birth to three beautiful kits and only one survived. We hope that young kit will make RiverClan strong."

Cats murmured among the crowds of Clans about the kit. Tanglepaw stayed quiet.

"Now it is WindClan's turn." Graystar announced on top of his tree branch "WindClan has been strong this past moon. We have two new warriors that have finally overcome greencough and I am proud to announce that Featherfall and Crowflight are now two warriors."

"Featherfall! Crowflight!" All the Clans cheered, making Tanglepaw shrink down. When would it be her turn?

•••

I am so so so sorry this took forever. I'll have the next chapter up really soon I promise!