Chapter forty two

It had been around a half a moon since the gathering and Tangletuft couldn't feel more tired.

The four apprentices had been lively around the camp. Almost too lively. They kept the warriors up all night with their constant blabbering and in the daytime they would almost jump across the camp, running into cats as if they were still kits.

And to make matters worse, the prophecy had been constantly nagging her thoughts. Almost every single heartbeat would be spent thinking about it with Rabbitfoot. The two had grown close the past half moon. And as close as they were, she couldn't help but ignore him sometimes for some sleep.
When she wasn't thinking about the prophecy, she hated to admit this but Snowblaze was on her mind. Was what Rabbitfoot said true?

"Time for patrols!" Tangletuft heard the deputy Grasspelt yowl and cats gathered around her. Grasspelt had aged early, her now thin gray fur old and scrawny. Her eyes looked dull and not their usual lively ones anymore. How long would it be before she moved into the elders' den?

Tangletuft's questions were soon answered when Graystar exited his den and climbed onto Tallrock "The patrols will have to wait," he announced and the whole Clan looked up at their leader "I have a meeting for my Clan."

With some added hesitation, the Clan migrated towards the centre of camp before looking up at their leader. Tangletuft just stayed in the crowd.

"I have had a loyal deputy for many moons," Graystar started, staring down at Grasspelt "I couldn't thank you more for being a perfect deputy. But the whole Clan thinks moving into the elders' den would be the best for you."

"Me?" Grasspelt asked, outraged "I'm barely older than you are. Who's to say I need to move why not you? Or Rustlestep or Silverblaze? We're all only four seasons apart."

Graystar bowed his head politely "Some cats age faster than others. You have served your Clan well. Please let the Clan serve you for a long time."

"What if I say no?" Grasspelt challenged, glaring at her Clanmates then back up at Graystar.

"I will still appoint a new deputy today," Graystar answered as if Grasspelt had no meaning to him "And you will become another warrior until you decide to become an elder."

"But you're my mate!" Grasspelt yelled and the Clan stared at her, shocked. Surely they all knew they were mates. They had Thymeclaw, Yellowfoot and Tangletuft's father Sunstripe. But unfortunately no cat had actually confirmed that they were mates until now "Are you saying your mate has grown old?"

The whole Clan paused, and couples seemed to cuddle closer together for a heartbeat. Rustlestep and Silverblaze, Heatherfang and Sorrelfall, Birdflight and Mudheart, and newly accompanied Featherfall and Smallfoot were striking examples of that.

Tangletuft felt her heart lurch. Would she ever have a mate? She knew she had better things to do than to moon over some silly tom but it would be nice wouldn't it?

"We had kits," Graystar meowed, his eyes emotionless "That doesn't mean we're mates."

"But we are," Grasspelt corrected, speaking as if it was a one-on-one interaction and forgetting her whole Clan was behind her "Sunstripe, Yellowfoot and Thymeclaw all remember you being their father. Thymeclaw, Thymekit at the time, even said we were the cutest mates in WindClan. We have to be mates."

"No we don't," Graystar meowed "We'll talk about this later though. Your decision is wether to become a warrior or an elder. The choice is yours."

Tangletuft watched as Foxgaze padded up to the deputy and began whispering things. The two must've been close.

But after what seemed like forever of whispering Foxgaze drew a step back and Grasspelt raised her old head to speak "I choose to become an elder." Her voice beamed.

The whole Clan dipped their heads before Graystar began the original elders' speech "Grasspelt, is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and go to join the elders?"

Grasspelt hesitated before slowly nodding "It is."

"Your Clan honours you and all the service you have given to us. I call upon StarClan to give you many moons of rest."

Grasspelt said nothing as she went to join Cloudpelt; the feisty old tom that had been an elder since before Tangletuft was born. She had never acknowledged him much. Would the same thing now happen with Grasspelt?

But the next announcement didn't give Tangletuft enough time to answer her thoughts. It was time to announce a new deputy.

"I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of WindClan is Seedpelt."

All eyes turned towards Seedpelt. He felt overwhelmed at first before gazing at Foxgaze and his already almost senior warrior kits. It looked like he was about to parade around camp before he suddenly bowed his head "I will try my best."

Without another word, cats clustered around Seedpelt, waiting to hear for a patrol to go on.

It took Seedpelt some time and he stared nervously at the cats around him, but he eventually began speaking "I want Foxgaze to lead a late dawn patrol with Featherfall, Sorrelfall and Longwhisker. Check both borders." He paused, waiting for the group to assemble "Then I want Rustlestep to lead a sun-high patrol with Thymeclaw, Grainwhisker and Berryfall. Check only the RiverClan border," Pausing once more he continued "Smallfoot will lead the other patrol with Tangletuft, Snowblaze and Redwhsiker."

Tangletuft's heart stopped. Out of all the cats why those two? She had zoned out for the rest of the announcement of patrols until hunting patrols crawled back into her ears.

"Tangletuft, you will lead a sunset hunting patrol with Sageclaw, Mistpaw and Dapplefoot." Seedpelt meowed and Tangletuft curtly nodded. The second one wasn't all that bad.

•••

Hey guys I hope you enjoyed!!

I have a thought about another reason why Tangletuft's father Sunstripe was distant; 1. the prophecy obviously 2. Graystar was never a good father so he didn't know how to be a father

But anyways yass a patrol with Redwhisker and Snowblaze this should be interesting!