XXVI

"I told you I'm not doing it!" Riley shouted in defence as she stood with her arms crossed and her eyes flared, Paul just met her temper

"Well, I am certainly not doing it! You're the one who found it!" He yelled back, his arms folding themselves as he copied her stance. "I'm not doing it Riley, no way"

"Well somebody has to get that freaky legged thing!" Riley poured out as she wafted her arms around.

A few minutes prior Riley had pointed out a spider while she screamed loudly at it, alarming Paul in the process, who quickly threw his imprint over his shoulder before he ran the pair into the only room with a lock. The bathroom. Which they were now stuck in because neither of them had the strength to get rid of it.

"You're the wolf!" Riley suddenly pointed out with a smirk, causing him to roll his eyes at her, as they grew older the pack was slowly giving up their shifting, Leah had been the first one to give up as she wanted to settle down with her imprint, Riley and Paul had yet to get married as they had only moved in together so far, enjoying the simplicity of just being in each other's company.

Nobody quite knew why Paul hadn't popped the question yet, as they were sure that they would be right after Emily to get married. And yet, Emily now has a baby and there is still no ring, it made Riley really insecure around the other imprints, everyone was heavily married or pregnant while she couldn't sort out who got rid of a spider with Paul.

"Fine, I'll get it" Riley caved in finally, her eyes turning sad as she remembered something, pulling her away from Paul yet again which made him turn sad in an instant.

Riley grabbed a cup that was usually left in the bathroom for late night drinks, before she grabbed a magazine that was laying around, unlocking the door before she stepped out quickly and made her way down the stairs to see if it was still near the couch. She didn't even flinch when she saw it's creepy legs twitching, just placed the cup on top of it before she quickly shifted the magazine under it, walking towards the back door where she let it walk away.

Riley slammed the cup into the sink and threw the magazine in the bin, not even noticing Paul watching her with confusing eyes. "What did I do Rile?" He finally asked, making her tense slightly.

"What makes you think you've done something?" Riley replied with suspicion, turning around to face him, her eyes glaring slightly as she tries to figure out why he had thought he had done something. Leah had offered a reason as to why he hadn't made any other moves, and Riley physically felt her heart break as she thought about it again. "A-are you..."

"Am I what?" Paul asked, before he saw Riley's eyes drop to the floor with water pooling in the bottom of them. "Riley, I can't do anything if you don't tell me"

Riley snapped her head up sharply, "I-I just...do you not want me or something?" His chest felt tight at her statement, he was ultimately confused. "I mean, everyone in the pack is married or expecting children and you just...we've been living together for a few years now and I can't help but think that you no longer want me to be in your future. You haven't even given up shifting yet, even if everyone else has"

"Riley" Paul sighed softly at the state of her, and she brushed away a stray tear as her head dropped and she nodded carefully.

"I get it, I'll pack my things." Riley replied in a monotone voice, moving to step forward, only for Paul's hands to reach forward and push her against the wall quickly. She let out a gasp as he held her gently against the wall, her eyes raising to his with a questioning expression. "What are you doing?!"

"Riley, I gave up my wolf a few weeks ago" Paul admits, smiling down at her softly as she tired to figure it all out, he loved her expression whenever she was working out something in her mind, the crease in her brows as her eyes dazed slightly.

"Why?" She tilted her head slightly as she analysed his face, trying not to think about kissing the life out of him.

"Because, I want our future together Riley" Paul began to explain, "but I didn't want us getting married around the same time as everybody else, being just 'another wedding' that people attend, I want it to be special and lasting"

"You want to get married?" Riley questioned carefully, her face becoming more soft and relaxed.

"Of course Riley, you're the love of my life, why wouldn't I want to marry you?" He questioned with a smile on his lips, his hands brushing her hair and caressing her cheek as she just held onto his arms gently. "You just had to interfere with my plan to surprise you" without her getting the chance to speak, he realised his hold on her and pulled out a black matte box to her with a sheepish expression.

Riley gasped as he flicked it open for her eyes, glancing down at it before she looked back at his nervous expression, before she quickly dived forward and laced her lips with his, Paul returning it quickly as he held her against his body. Silently, he slid the ring onto her finger before dropping the box to the ground and trailing his hands to her thighs, her body jumping up for him to catch her.