XVII

"Dad, have you ever had someone stuck in your head?" Riley questioned on a Saturday evening, her legs on his lap as they watched the game.

Charlie's head instantly snapped over to where Riley was fiddling with her fingers, and nibbling in her own lip. "What do you mean?"

"There's this—person, and I can't seem to get them out of my head. And, when they do little things, like say my name or grab my hand—tingles spread through my body and...it's hard to explain" Riley chattered on, her face blushing as she continuously played with her fingers.

"Sounds like a crush to me, Riles" Charlie states, even though it pained him to say it, especially to his youngest.

"But, it feels more...intense than a crush...kind of like the L-word" Riley explained, and Charlie sighed softly at his youngest.

"Well, sounds to me like you need to have a conversation with this...'person' about how your feeling, and see if they feel the same" Charlie advised, Riley finally looking up with a hopeful look. "There's always a chance that they feel the same things as you"

"Really?!" Riley exclaimed, hopeful and excited.

Charlie nodded, "it's hard not to fall for a sweet girl like you, Riles. You're a catch. Now, you talk with this person and then send me to me afterwards, I can give them a nice...chat"

"Dad!" Riley whines, potting slightly at her dads antics, before her phone chimes and she picked it up quickly. "I need to go, Athena wants to hang out"

"Okay, be back before six"

"So, what are we doing out in the middle of no where?" Riley questioned, zipping up her coat when she felt another chill from the cold weather, Athena ahead of her with a wistful look

"One, I learnt a new spell. And two, we need somewhere where nobody is listening in, I have something to tell you" Athena explained quickly, and Riley nodded before they continued their hike, a bag full of snacks and a container of coffee for Athena.

"So, the spell..what exactly is it?" Riley asked, as they arrived at some sort of field, that almost seems lively as they were entering spring again.

"One you'll love" Athena promises, placing the bag down gently before gesturing for Riley to hand her hand over. "Close your eyes"

Riley followed her cousins orders, closing her eyes gently as she could feel her cousins eyes on her, their hands joint.

"Open them" Athena let out in a softer tone, almost as if it was a whisper.

When Riley opened up her eyes, she gasped at the sudden field that was filled to the brim with colourful flowers, and she got even more excitement when Athena handed her one of her favourite camera's.

"Thought it would give you some inspiration" Athena gave the girl a smile, and Riley snatched up her camera quickly and sat down on the ground, taking some pictures around them, Athena sitting opposite her. "Now, I need to tell you something really important"

"I'm all ears" Riley promised, even placing her camera down as gently as possible, she hadn't seen her cousin look so confused since she had tasted coffee for the first—which soon became an obsession.

"You know how vampire mate? And the wolves imprint?" Athena asked, and Riley nodded along. "Well, in witches, we apparently call them our Beloved's." (Be-love-ed)

"Have you...?" Riley trialed on, her eyes wide.

"I now know why Emmett was always watching me, because I'm supposed to be his mate and he's my Beloved" Athena continued, Riley mouth open wide. "And now I have no idea what to do"