8.

*Edited*

I slowly wake up, bright light blinding me when I open my eyes.

I blink for a few seconds, trying to adjust my eyes to the sunlight, before I look around, trying to remember what had happened yesterday.

I rub my back a bit, feeling uncomfortable in the position I had slept in, and let my eyes wander around.

I'm still sitting on a tree branch, leaning against the tree trunk.

And I'm still in the Nine of Hearts Game.

Quickly, I pull off the gloves and stuff them into my backpack.

Then I pull out my phone to see for how long I had slept.

I stare at the timer on the bright white screen.

40:26:56

So, I slept for about 6 and a half hours.

Then the screen changes again, a chart with 24 pictures in it showing up instead of the timer.

Underneath the photos, are the numbers 1 through 24, and I can see my face above the number 4.

A lot of faces, though, are crossed out, and I know that must be the players that are dead already.

I search the screen for the numbers 18 and 23.

I search for Taylor and Ray.

Relaxing a bit, I see both pf their pictures still there, without being crossed out, and I know, they've survived the night.

Then my eyes go to another photo, but this time I don't feel relieved that this one isn't crossed out.

I stare at the picture of the scary, muscular guy with the number 5, who I had last seen at the supply stack.

Sighing, I put my phone back into my phone pocket.

Hearing my stomach grumble, I decide to eat one of the bread slices as slowly as I can, so I'd be full, even after only one slice.

This could be important, since I don't really have that many resources here.

But I decide to eat a second slice, knowing I'd need energy for the day.

Although this game will only take two days, I don't think high of my chances to win if that strong guy is somewhere out there.

I just need to stay alive for long enough, to help at least one of my friends to win this game.

I know I would never be able to continue in this world if I ended up to be the last survivor.

And if there are more than one survivor, it's very probable, that everyone will be killed after the time runs out.

That's why I can't risk the time running out, so I decide to start looking for other players.

If I run into anyone, I will have to kill them, but I don't want to think about that yet.

Sighing, I untie the rope and put it back into my backpack, together with the remainder of the bread slices and other supplies.

I double-check if I have all of my knives, before scanning the area below me.

No one in sight.

I should be safe to climb down now.

Still, as I do so, I try to stay as silent as possible to not bring any attention to myself.

The wound on my arm from the last game is still stinging, but I ignore it.

When my feet are on the ground again, I take a knife from my belt, wanting to have one ready at any time.