Season 2| Chapter 16

A few seconds after giving my answer, I hear a loud explosion from the cell next to mine.

If I'm honest, I understand Ippei and how he's feeling guilt and regret because of this game, but at the same time I know I have to get out alive.

I have to get out with Chishiya.

Exiting my cell, I wait for a few seconds until I can confirm that Urumi won't be coming out again.

"She's dead, isn't she?" I hear Ippei's scared voice behind me.

I turn around and look at him and Chishiya approaching me.

"Yeah, I think so." I say.

Behind Chishiya and Ippei I see Banda exiting his cell and joining emo guy Matsushita again.

He looks at me for a second and smirks, his eyes not looking away from me.

I frown at him.

Why does he always have to look at me like that?

It really makes me feel uneasy.

Seeing my frown, Chishiya turns around and observes Banda's actions.

Said man looks away from me after a few moments, pushing his hands into his pockets before following Matsushita again.

When I pull my eyes away from his figure, I feel Chishiya's eyes on me as he raises an eyebrow.

My eyes meet his, and I feel the guilt building up inside of me again.

Fine, I'll make a deal with myself.

If Chishiya asks me about Banda, I'll tell him.

But if he doesn't, I won't.

What if Banda found out, though?

I guess he is at least not allowed to kill me, but I know he won't be afraid to hurt someone.

"Let's go back to the others" Ippei's voice rips me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, sure." I mumble and follow him back to the Central Guardroom.

"You coming?" I ask Shuntaro when I see him not moving an inch, as if in deep thoughts.

Knowing he's probably figuring out who the Jack is, I take his hand, making him look at me.

"Come on" I smile at him, making him nod.

***

After the next round is over, the only players left are Chishiya, Ippei, Banda, Emo guy a.k.a. Matsushita, business guy, business girl and me.

"So I was right about them lying to each other" Chishiya mumbles as our trio (Ippei, him and I) sits inside the Central Guardroom.

"Yeah. I guess they weren't really thinking straight after going through all that manipulation." I reply, sipping on a strawberry milk I had gotten from the dining hall.

I hear Ippei breathing shakily from beside me as he looks up at the screen.

He grabs my attention when his legs give out, and he falls to the ground, sobbing uncontrollably.

I crouch down next to him, rubbing his back.

I try comforting him, not really knowing how to, though, as he continues crying.

"I... I don't think I can keep playing this game." He whispers, wiping away a few tears with his hands.

"Ippei... you just have to hang in there for a few more rounds. Then this torture is over." I tell him, trying to find good words.