Season 2| Chapter 18

A/N: This chapter is a bit longer (2500+ words)

"Heart"

After the words leave my mouth, I feel fear course through my body.

Banda is a manipulator.

What if he's manipulated me, too, now?

I hear the timer keep on counting down as sweat forms on my forehead.

Stop it, Y/n, you'll see if you've said the right answer.

Once the timer stops, I grit my teeth, bracing myself.

The timer buzzes and I wait a few seconds.

An explosion echoes through the halls and I flinch.

But it didn't come from my own collar.

Wait what?

That means...

Banda told me the truth?

Relief floods through my body, and I release a breath I didn't know I had been holding.

From down the hallway, I hear a door slam open.

As I'm about to step outside, I stop for a second when I hear someone start laughing hysterically.

I crouch down to look through the slits of the door, seeing emo guy laugh loudly and in an unsettling way.

"I won" He says before breaking into laughter again.

Oh.

So I was right.

He is the Jack of Hearts, that bastard.

But his laughing stops when the door next to mine opens.

I feel even more relieved when I watch Chishiya exit his cell.

He's still alive.

And even though I really want to deny it right now, after what he's put me through, I know I still definitely care about him.

Deciding it would be better to just watch the whole scene unfold, I decide to sit down on my knees, still observing them through the slits of the door.

"I had a feeling you were the Jack of Hearts" Chishiya's voice echoes through the hall.

I still don't know how to feel.

Even though he'd caused me great pain just a few minutes ago, I know I need to talk to him again.

Whether it's about why he broke up with me or if it was all part of some plan.

But if it was, why couldn't he have told me?

I shake my head, focussing on their conversation again.

"But how did you-" Matsushita starts, staring at Chishiya with wide eyes.

"You teamed up with Banda from the start, and he's a murderer, so it just made sense." Chishiya simply states.

"Even if, somehow, you were moved by Banda's little monologue, I knew you wouldn't trust him. You don't trust strangers. And certainly not as fast as that."

After collecting himself a bit, I watch Matsushita close his mouth before smirking at Chishiya.

"What about your little girlfriend, then? Didn't she trust him directly? I know that they exchanged symbols this last round." He asks mockingly.

"No, she didn't. After Banda lied to her the first, she slowly started building her trust with him, while you didn't notice. I guess, so they could rely on each other in a situation like this, when you'd finally lie to Banda." Chishiya continues with his observations.