Season 2| Chapter 25

***

Making our way through the maze, the time passes rather quickly.

After the timer hits the 25-minute mark, I hear the growling of the Beast all over, and soon two more players' eliminations are announced.

We haven't encountered the Beast so far, so Kuragari and I are in luck.

But still, we aren't safe yet, knowing that we aren't in the safezone yet.

***

As Kuragari and I run through the seemingly endless hallways, I look down at my bracelet, sweat running down the side of my face.

Player 2

00:03:46

Shit.

"Kuragari! Our time is almost up!" I yell at him, turning my head to look at him.

He nods, tired from the exhaustion of running through these tight hallways.

From my right side, I hear the beast growling and people screaming.

I whimper and cover my ears.

How many players are left?

"Player 19, Eliminated"

"Player 6, Eliminated"

I take the next right turn and then run down a straight hallway, seeing something bright in the distance.

A gleam of hope ignites inside my heart, and I push through the exhaustion.

"I think it's here!" I yell.

And soon, we arrive at the end of the hallway.

I slow down, trying to catch my breath as I enter the room.

A huge screen is at the end of the room.

Safezone

I want to cry from joy and feel my knees buckle.

Two hours of running really is tiring.

Having to fight the Beast didn't make it easier, either.

Next to me, I watch as Kuragari falls to the ground.

"We made it! Y/n! We made it!" He tells me, a bright smile on his lips.

I take a deep breath.

"Let's just hope the King won't come." I chuckle between breaths.

I look at my bracelet.

Player 2

00:02:30

Wow, with two and a half minutes to spare.

I sigh in contentment, lowering my eyes again to the ground in front of me.

But a nagging feeling starts spreading inside my stomach.

Are we really safe?

Did we really make it?

I don't know...

Something's not right here.

My eyes go over to Kuragari as he rests his hands on his knees, eyes closed, a smile on his lips as he tries to catch his breath.