Chapter 133

...he caught Rhett giving a bunch of free drugs to Dariel."

Rage bubbles inside of me. "I'm finding it hard to believe someone could be cruel enough to give an addict drugs. Like if you can't help someone then at least don't make them worse. The world is so damn brutal."

"It really is. And it's hard to accept that humans could be so harsh but unfortunately, it's our reality."

I pout. "It sucks to live in this reality. I mean, can you believe that even after everything I've been through when I see or hear something bad it's hard for me to accept it could be true? And Maven. I still can't believe he could turn so cruel."

"Fuck him. Everyone's fake nowadays. Look at me for example. My close friend ended up ruining my life. Me you and Sarah should just stick together and fuck everyone else off."

"I thought all this stuff with Rhett was over?" She owed him money and paid it off. I don't understand what reason he has to still be after her.

Hannah takes an extremely long time to respond. "It is. He's just annoying Hayden."

"That's not annoying Hannah. Hayden has a whole bodyguard following you." Why do I get the feeling she's hiding something from me?

"He's being overdramatic. The right term for him is a caveman."

"He's not being overdramatic!" I shriek, annoyed. How can she belittle this? "The guy threatened to beat you up and do god knows what else."

"He's bluffing," Hannah brushes it off.

"W-." I take a moment to calm myself and think. Is she saying all this because it's a coping mechanism? Pretend it's nothing? It wouldn't be the first time.

"Hannah..." I hesitate but then think better of it; she needs to take this seriously. We're not in primary school where someone's threatened to steal her packed lunch. "Don't you remember the things Sarah uncovered?"

Fear flashes across Hannahs features.

I hate doing this but it's better than regretting later on. My negative mind is conjuring the worst possible outcomes and it's scaring me half to death. My fear over something bad happening to her is at extreme lengths. Probably because, in the beginning, I didn't take the teachers creepy behaviour seriously and then ended up regretting it later when my mind was so badly damaged by the trauma.

"I've paid him back. Don't worry. He's only threatening Hayden because of Dariel. He won't do owt. Don't worry."

I don't think she realises it but she says don't worry twice, as if she's trying to not only convince me but herself.

To — no doubt— shut me up, she turns the music on. My music blasts through the speakers and she doesn't make a move to disconnect my phone and connect hers.

I instantly know there's something wrong because Hannah hates most of the music I listen to and is always fighting with me or Sarah to connect her phone.

"Ha—."

"Let's not talk about him pleaseeee," She interrupts me. "He's a fucking dickhead and I swear to god, the next time I see him, I'm going to gouge his eye out with my heel." Hannah faces the window and closes her eyes.

Something I left out earlier occurs to me and for a whole minute, I debate not telling her. However, I get a massive feeling it has something to do with her, so she has every right to know. "I know you said not to talk about him anymore but thanks to your eagerness in interrupting me earlier, I forgot to mention one important thing."

Hannah lazily turns to face me and her expression is a mask of defeat. Seeing her like this, breaks my heart. I hate that she's going through this.

"Go on."