Chapter 54

Once doctor Rick leaves to get the clear from my medical records for the anxiety pill, the nurse leaves along with him. Now that they're gone and we're alone in this small room, we don't utter a single word to each other.

I wonder if he thinks I'm clinging to him? Wonder if my revelation has made him uncomfortable. I mean, I wouldn't blame him if it did. He called us strangers, and then I'm telling him that he subdues my Ptsd. It's a big deal.

Though my head still rests on his arm, my fingers firmly intertwined with his, and his arm is still tightly wrapped around my shoulders.

Unfortunately, ten minutes later, a new nurse drops off the pill, and I have to sit up to take it. But I can't seem to disentangle my hand from his even as she holds out the cupcake tin containing the tablet. However, when it comes to grabbing the water, I don't have a choice, thanks to my sprained wrist.

Just as I'm loosening my fingers in Damien's, he removes his arm from around my shoulder and grabs the tiny plastic cup and places it against my lips. I startle a little but part my lips and swallow the pill. His hand bends awkwardly as he tilts the cup because the arm of the hand is pressed against mine. 

Luckily despite it being a massive pill, I manage to not embarrass myself by gagging like I normally would when taking tablets. I awkwardly tell him thank you, to which he wordlessly nods his head yes.

He places the cup on the desk beside us. "Do you have books saved on your phone?"

The unexpected question catches me off guard. "What?" I also want to ask why that's the first thing he says since we were left alone.

"I asked because it would help keep you occupied whilst..." he trails off, and I'm grateful.

"Oh... yes, I do." I double-check to see if I have my phone in my pocket because I dropped it in Damien's car last time. Luckily, I do.

I pull it out from my jeans pocket on autopilot. I turn it on and find a couple of missed calls from my best friend, Hannah. I place a reminder in my head to ring her back later because I can't message her in here since I have no service.

I'm about to put it back into my pocket when something red on the left corner of my screen catches my eye.

Crap, I forgot to ask Damien to place my phone on charge. "Actually, I won't be able to because my phone is on ten per cent." I frown up at him, show him the screen.

"I have a charger in my car. I'll send it up to you."

I smile. "Thank you."

"I erm and... and I have a kindle in the car. I could give- lend it to you whilst you wait for your phone to charge in case the sockets far away..." he looks away, but I don't miss the flush in his cheeks.

A giddy smile threatens to take over my face, so I tuck my lips in to suppress it. His stuttering pulls at the chords of my heart, and I don't know if it's because it's so uncharacteristic of him or because of how cute he looks doing it.

I nod my head yes. "I'd like that. Thank you." He's surprisingly, thoughtful. It hadn't even occurred to me that there could be a chance I wouldn't be able to reach my phone as it charged. And frankly, I don't think it would have crossed my mind until I was literally experiencing the possibility.