Chapter 80

I'm wearing a plain white long-sleeved t-shirt which is tucked into the waist band of a red polka dot flowy skirt that reaches my knees with black tights and white ballet flats with small pink hearts on them. I took my grey Cardigan off and put it in the car because the weather — for once — was nice, but now as the coffee stain reveals my plain black bra, I regret taking it off.

I suppose in a way this is karma for spitting Fanta on Hannah's white blouse.

"Oh fuck! I'm so sorry!" The guy exclaims.

I don't look at him, unable to tare my gaze off my bra.

"Watch where you're going asshole!" Hannah's shout startles me which finally makes me rip my gaze away from my bra.

I immediately recognise the guy — I bumped into him with my car on Tuesday... and he flirted with me after I apologised and asked if he was ok.

"It's you," he says, recognition flashing on his face.

I don't blink, just eye him cautiously.

"You know each other?" Hannah asks, as confused as I am.

"Yeah," he chuckles nervously as he ruffles through his coat pocket for something. "She hit me with her car the other day."

"So you spilt coffee on her?" Hannah's face morphs from disbelief to horror. "And you stalked her?! I've got pepper spray in my bag, so don't fucking try anything."

My eyes widen, and not because Hannah just said she's got pepper spray, but because of what she said before that. No! It's a mere coincidence, it has to be. But even as I try to reassure myself, fear cripples the tiny shred that believes it.

"What no! I was just on my way to Foot Asylum." He vigorously shakes his head and points to the shop behind us. "I wasn't looking where I was going, that's all. I'm no stalker, I swear."

Hannah narrows her eyes in suspicion, otherwise doesn't say anything else. I don't say anything either, ready to forget this ever happened and find a clean t-shirt, but then he pulls a paper tissue out of his pocket and brings it to my chest.

I move back before his hand can come anywhere close to my chest. "It's fine."

"I'm sorry. Here." He shrugs his coat off.

"She said it's fine, so go." Hannah waves her hand in a shooing gesture.

"No, it's not fine. Please accept the jacket." He pushes the coat forward.

I shake my head. Why aren't I speaking? Speak Hazel. "It's fine. I hit you, you hit me, we're even." Please say it was an accident too.

He smiles. "I'd feel better if you took my jacket," he says, glancing down at my chest.

Mortification doesn't allow me to look down again.

An idea strikes and I grab all my hair and pull it over my right shoulder. My long thick main conceals most of it but it's a huge stain spanning out from my chest to my stomach

"This ain't about you," Hannah snaps.

His expression turns desolate."I understand but her—"

"She said she's fine." A voice angrily drawls from my right.