Chapter 59

"So I was on my scooter, casually rolling down the street with a couple of lightweight groceries when I see a bunch of boys with a dog at the end of it. I keep going, albeit carefully, not wanting to startle the dog. Automatically presuming they've got a lead on it. You know, like any normal person would do with a German Shepard.

"Anyways, the dog spots me, the same second I spot  it's being held by the collar and not a leash and before the boys know what's happening, the dogs pulling out of his owners grasp and making a beeline for me."

I laugh out loud at what I did next. "I... I picked up my scooter and ran down the street. Instead of riding it, I picked it up! It hit my calf as I ran, but the pain was a dull ache in comparison to my fear. I managed to get into a street and hide. After like twenty minutes of hiding, I took the long way home. Safe to say, I never used that street ever again.

"Oh, and my mum was at home getting worried because it was past six and I'd been out for almost an hour. I didn't have a phone either, so there was no way for her to contact me. Plus, I lived in Raywood at the time, so you know what it's like there. However, my auntie reassured my mum, said I probably did something stupid like fell or broke my scooter because I'm known to be very stupid and clumsy in the family. None of that happened, but the fact she knew and the fact that I got away without using my scooter makes me laugh to this day. I'm still slightly scared of dogs, though."

I focus back on Damien and see him fisting the bedsheets, his face contorted with rage. "That dog could've killed you. Who the fuck holds a German Shepard by its collar?!" He booms.

He's angry? That was not at all what I expected him to be before I told him. I had expected him to find it as hilarious as everyone else has after I told them. This is a first.

"I'm fine," I chuckle but shut up when his eyes turn into slits. "Seriously, I'm fine. I found it funny then and find it funny now. It's why I told you — because it's funny. I got away unscathed. Well, unless you count the bruises, I got on my calf from where the scooter hit my leg as I ran..." I trail off when he doesn't stop glowering.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" I randomly ask to distract him.

He still looks angry but nods his head yes anyway. I lift the covers and get in but struggle because Rosie's at the foot of my bed. I grab her and place her on my lap. She stands up, turns in a circle then lays back down.

I press myself against the wall to make space for him on my single bed. God, is he even going to fit?

I lift the duvet for him as he gets in. His bare arms press up against the thin fabric covering my arm, and his jean-clad legs touch my bare ones causing goosebumps to manifest my body.

I lean forward to grab the remote control and turn the tv on. But just as I turn it on, I realise I don't have my glasses on.

I spot them on the shelf below the tv. I try to lean forward to grab them, but Rosie stirs in my lap. I don't want to risk losing the only thing obstructing me from doing something stupid with Damien, so I ask him to grab them. "Can you... can you grab my glasses, please?"

He raises a pierced brow. "Your eyesight is that bad?"

"Unfortunately, yes," I tell him as he leans forward to grab my black glasses. "I'm short-sighted by like a metre."

He passes them to me, and I self consciously put them on under his gaze. I hate wearing glasses because it makes my face look ten times bigger.

Wait. Why do I suddenly care so much about how I look in front of a guy when I never have before? It's stupid and not me, and I hate that Damien brings this side out of me.