Chapter 44

I exit the bedroom only to freeze halfway. He's in the living area, talking to someone on the phone.

Not wanting to disturb him, I move into the kitchen to check on my clothes. The timer says six minutes left. Okay, that's not long.

I look around and see he's cleaned up.

My long wet hair is annoying me so I gather it to tie it up but realise I don't have a hair tie. It's in my jeans. Which are in the laundry. So were my headphones and medicine.

I whip around to face Damien whose already approaching me. I point a thumb over my shoulder, in the washing machines direction. "My jeans had some things in them."

"Yeah I know, I put them in the drawer," he points to the pull out drawer near the sink.

Oh, thank god. I open it and find my hair tie, headphones and fluoxetine. The fluoxetine packaging has my name clearly on it which I'm also late in taking. I'm just going to have to pretend he never saw them.

I grab the hair tie and struggle to tie my hair back thanks to my wrist. After a full minute of me struggling, I feel Damien lightly hooks his fingers into my hand. I freeze. "Can I?" He asks.

Not trusting my voice, I nod my head yes and drop my hands. He gathers my hair in his hand and struggles to tie it.

A laugh breaks out of me at his struggle. I figured he'd know how to tie it since he's the one who offered to help.

"Why is this so hard?" He grumbles still fighting. He accidentally pulls it. "Shit sorry."

I jolt, shocked, my head whipping back to look at him. I pull my hair but the pains inexistent next to my surprise. "Did you just apologise?" Are my ears betraying me?

He blinks down at me like he's also unsure. "Erm... yes?"

I burst out laughing. "Who knew the first time Damien Hunter apologises to me is for accidentally pulling my hair whilst struggling to tie it."

He laughs too. "Don't go telling anyone. You'll stain my reputation."

I erupt into a full-blown fit of laughter. Once Damien finally finishes tying my hair, he grabs my waist as I'm laughing my head off and spins me around to face him.

He smirks. "You find that really funny, don't you?"

Still laughing, I hold my fingers up inches apart. "A little." I tuck my lips in to contain my laughter but it doesn't work.

Keeping his hands pinned on my waist, he slowly backs me into the island. The look in Damien's eyes has my laugh dimming within a second. His glazed hooded eyes flit between my eyes and lips, contemplatively.

He removes one hand from my waist and pushes my wet hair behind my ear. "You're so beautiful," he half whispers.

My lips part at his sincere compliment. He thinks I'm beautiful. I blink up at him, baffled.

Passion lights up in those green forests and it causes a tingling sensation in my core as my eyes zone in on Damien's soft plump lips. He licks them and a heat of desire shoots in between my legs, gradually easing over my entire body and painfully puckering my nipples against my bra.

He pushes another stray lock of hair behind my ear and without thinking to, I lean into his touch. The look in his eyes from my sudden movement makes my chest ache in a way it never has...In a way, it never should.

I can't look away from Damien's face. His beautiful emerald greens that for once aren't hard and cold, but tender and sweet as they regard me wistfully. Those full lips that are usually pulled up into a scowl are now parted slightly. His jaw which is normally set tight is relaxed for once.