Chapter 19

Not pregnant.

Hannah's knees buckle and she falls against me. The unexpected movement and the fear unravelling within me doesn't give me time to catch her but fall along with her. She lands on top of me and all the air whooshes out of my lungs in one go.

She looks up at me with tears of relief springing in her eyes and then we both burst out laughing, hysterically. We're known for laughing at stupid things, so this doesn't come as a surprise to me.

After a long while of laughing like maniacs, Hannah gets up and straightens her camisole. "I need to tell Hayden. I impulsively texted him that I might be pregnant."

I feign shock. "You did something impulsively?" All Hannah does is make impulsive decisions. And once she's hell-bent on something, not even me and Sarah can stop her. That's how crazy she is.

"Fuck off," she chuckles, stretching out her hand for me to grab.

I grab her hand and let her help me up. "So what did he say?"

"He had the fucking nerve to be mad at me. He was like, I thought you were on the fucking pill and whatnot." She makes a bad impersonation of him that makes me laugh but when she glares I snap my mouth shut. Hannah can be very scary when's she's angry. "I got mad and cut the call on him. He wouldn't stop calling after that so I had to turn my phone off."

"Pig," I mutter. I never liked him when he was with her, but I put up with him for her.

Crossing my arms gently across my chest, I face the tests on the sink. The cheap one has one line on it and the clear blue ones have not pregnant written on it.

I love babies, but I would never want Hannah's child to grow up without a present father. And then if Hannah does get another guy, cause she will. I mean she's gorgeous, so she most definitely will. Well, you never really do get a true fathers love from someone else, no matter how nice they might seem, you'll always have that longing deep inside of you... like I always have. Many people are stronger than me though, but not everyone is as good as me when it comes to masking their sorrow, and sometimes even I crack. Shocker, I know. And I would never want that for Hannahs child or anyone else's for that matter. No one deserves that.

Hannah disposes of the pregnancy tests and we head back into the bedroom so she can call Hayden and tell him she's not pregnant. I told her she should let him stress for a week at least, it's not like he doesn't deserve it, but she said she wants to get it over and done with; have him out of her life already so she can move on. I didn't prod her after that because she was right.

We sit on the bed cross-legged with the snacks I bought as she switches her phone on and dials Hayden's number. I look at the screen: she's replaced 'Baby' with 'Filthy rich snob.'

"Couldn't have described him better," I laugh, remembering the first time she met him.

She gives me a dumbfounded look. "I don't know why I changed it? I'm fucking stupid."

"Put it on speaker," I mouth when I hear the ringing stop. She obliges.

Music instantly blares out the phone. I give Hannah a quizzical look but she just shrugs.

"Hello!" A girl shouts over the music and Hannah grows rigid. I place my hand over hers, reassuring her that it's going to be ok and that I'm here for her.

"Hi, where's Hayden?" I ask because Hannah seems to be lost in thought. I tell myself this has to be the last time I speak up for her because she needs to do this on her own. I get her wounds are still raw, and I'm always going to be here for her if she needs me, however, I won't always be here to help her.