Chapter 146

If I weren't driving, I would sink so far into my seat I would become a part of it. Sierra was too young when the thing with the teacher happened, and she still is too young to tell or understand, for that matter.

"Which friends? The ones who watched you get pushed off the bouncy castle? And then proceeded to stay silent about it," Hannah snaps, her neck red with rage.

"Hannah!" I hiss. I thought we had a silent understanding not to bring up the elephant in the car until Sierra was gone. Plus, we're not even a hundred per cent sure she was pushed.

"No hazel, keep your, 'Hannahs!'—." She attempts mimicking my voice but fails exceptionally. "—to yourself. I'm putting my foot down on this. She needs to know what's right and what's wrong, and that's horrible."

Dread mixed with fear fills my stomach. What's that supposed to mean? I hope it doesn't mean she's going to tell my sister about the teacher. No, what am I saying? Hannah isn't stupid enough to do that. Right?

"No one pushed me. I fell!" Sierra bellows for the millionth time in thirty minutes.

"That's fine, Sierra." I throw daggers at Hannah with my eyes. "Hannah, shut up."

I didn't think it was possible, but Hannah's neck turns into a deeper shade of red. Fear has my hands turning clammy, causing them to slip on the steering wheel. Luckily I stop at the traffic lights, which gives me the opportunity to free my hands from the wheel and brush them across my dress.

Of course, Hannah doesn't listen. "Your sister didn't leave the school right around the corner to take two busses to a different school for the fun of it."

"Hannah, I said shut up!" I shout, frustrated. I can't deal with the reminder, especially not whilst driving. I'd never purposely, do anything to hurt anyone, but if she continues, I'm afraid panic will override my senses to the point where I crash.

Hannah surprisingly shuts up and slumps back into the seat with a pout. She looks like she might throttle me.

To be honest, I'd rather do that than whatever she was about to do.

To clear the tense air, I say the first thing that pops up into my head. "So, who's Henry?" I ask Sierra, my tone teasing.

"Tina's twin brother," she grumbles in response.

I let it flow over me. "Is she the girl who comes over sometimes after school? The one Rosie doesn't like." I chuckle.

"Tina's pronouns are they them," Sierra barks. "And yes, that is them."

I startle. "Oh, I'm sorry, the last time they came over, you were addressing them by the other pronoun. I—."

Sierra cuts me off. "They came out a week ago."

Hannah whirls in her seat to face Sierra so fast I almost have whiplash. "What the fuck, Sierra? Did you expect her to magically know that? Your sisters being so nice to you despite your insolence. So nice that not once did she tell you I told you so after she specifically told you not to go to your bully's birthday. I most definitely would have reminded you a million fucking times. Anyone in her position would have. So instead of being a brat, appreciate her."

"Oh my gosh, I was not pushed!" She slaps her hands on the seat so hard it echoes throughout the car for a while.

Well, up until it's interrupted by Hannah. "Is that all you—."