Chapter 162

Emma lets out an exaggerated sigh. "Apparently we both share the same fantasy book obsession?" She questions as if doubtful.  

My eyes brighten, excited to have finally met someone who not only reads but reads fantasy novels. Something my best friends don't.

Fantasy books are too long for Sarah's taste and drag on too much, she prefers contemporary, smutty Young Adult novels. Hannah likes her books a little on the dark side with a whole load of spice. And I love escaping into realms full of magical beings without any kind of sexual behaviour. If I happen to come across it, I skip over it.

I try not to get excited too soon or too much. There are many different types of fantasy novels and we might not share the same ones since there are many. Luckily, my first question is sure to answer it. "Have you read The Folk of the Air series?"

Her amber eyes flash. "You mean, am I in a polyamorous relationship with Jude and Cardan?" She gives me a weird look before breaking out into a full-blown smile. "Then hell fucking yes!"

I chuckle. I love her enthusiasm, it matches my own when I'm talking about book characters. "I love them so much. Jude is my all-time favourite Fantasy character." She is everything I want to be and more; bold, strong, and courageous.

"We're free!" Sarah rejoices, throwing her hands up into the air in a victory gesture. The cashier behind her startles a little from the sudden commotion and so do I.

Emma rolls her eyes, shaking her head.

It hits me then. The reason for Sarah's elation. "You." My mouth falls open in partially feigned shock. "Did you become friends with Emma because she loves fantasy books as much as I do, and so you could introduce us and get me off your back?!"

"Mine too," Hannah adds.

My eyes flit between them in disbelief, laughter bubbling up my throat but I won't let them off so easily. This is payback for all the times they have groaned after I recommended a fantasy book.

Emma nods her head yes. "Oh she so did," she drawls, playing along.

Sarah lets out a long, dramatic breath. "Luck of freaking fate if you ask me."

I pin her with an accusing stare, cocking my head to the side. "You don't believe in fate." She finds the belief stupid. Hannah disagrees. I don't know how I feel about it.

"I do fucking now!" She waves a dramatic hand over the length of Emma. "No, but I found out about her fantasy book obsession the second week into our friendship and immediately knew I had to introduce you two. And when I told her that, I ended up revealing I read too and then she began spouting off book recommendations left right and centre as if I hadn't just moaned about your constant nagging. And funnily enough, all her recommendations were similar to yours."

"She found the book in my car and screamed that we had to meet," Emma informs me. "I was half deaf for a week." 

"Oh it gets even better," Sarah begins cheerfully. "You're both cat moms. You have a cat and Emma has two."

"I would say we should have a play date but cats..."

"Hate the life out of each other," I finish for her, chuckling.