Chapter 31

The moment his lips touch mine, a wave of euphoria rushes over me and my eyes flutter shut. But when he moves to deepen the kiss, his words from the library echo throughout my head ending the feeling as quick as it came. I regain my composure and step out of his hold, disengaging our connection.

"I- I can't," I whisper pressing three fingers against my aching, empty lips.

Laughter reverberates through the room, reminding me we're not alone.

"She fucked you off so hard!" Someone shouts.

"You were keeping her away from me in hopes she'd fuck you but she doesn't even want you."

My eyes jump to Damien's, expecting rage to be marking his expression but I'm surprised to find him calm, uncaring of the insults being thrown his way.

Why am I still here? I've done what the stupid card said.

Without a word I turn to leave. But stop right before the sliding door when Sander speaks.

"Woah there. It said french kiss not—."

"Fuck it, this is way better," Penny interrupts Sander with a look of pure joy.

I can't help turning around and glaring at her. So when she sees fit it's fine but when... ugh why am I even bothering. It's done. I'm free.

I slide open the door and step through. Im just about to close it when Olivia shouts, "shut the door will ya!"

I move to slide it closed but stop when black converses appear suddenly. My eyes drift up; black jeans, black t-shirt and then Damien's face comes into view, his normal scowl back in place.

Lifting his eyebrows, he nods his head behind me as if to say 'move it.' I guess we're back to the rude Damien I first met.

I walk away, leaving the door open for him to close. 

As soon as I step out of the house, the cold air greets me like an old companion. I didn't realise it until now, but that place was sucking all the life out of me, and now that I'm out, I'm finally able to breath again.

I move out from under the doors portico and into the rain. Craning my neck back, i let the rain splatter on my face, clearing up my fogged up mind. Part of me wants to wipe Damien off my lips and part of me hates the idea.

God what is wrong with me? How can I so easily forget what he did? What he was trying to do?

I start to shiver. I'm soaked; my hair is plastered to my head and face, and my wet cold jeans cling to my body like a second skin. Why did I wear only a hoodie?

Pulling my phone out of my back pocket along with my headphones, I check the time on my phone and plug my headphone in as I do so. It reads: six thirty.

I turn the music on shuffle and 'everytime' by Ariana Grande comes on. I roll my eyes. The irony isn't lost on me . I couldn't relate to this song more than I can right now, especially the lyrics: 'Why oh why does god keep bringing me back to you.'

I listen to these songs because they're addictive. Because no matter how many times I'd listen to them, they'd never get old. I never related to them, never wanted to relate to them. Yet here I am... relating to Ariana Grande.

'Get a grip Hazel these are love songs, you're not in love with Damien! You've had what three encounters with the guy and you seem to think you're in love with him and can relate to love songs. God a guy wouldn't even look at you sideways, never mind love you.' The mean voices scolds me.

Ignoring the incessant chides raging on inside my head, I bring up the Uber app on my phone. I'm about to press confirm Uber when I realise I took all the money out of my bank this morning. A normal longer taxi it is then.