Chapter 111

I stare out at the field behind him. Does he want to spend time with me? Or is he doing this because he thinks I'm not ready to be in the car yet?

"I..." I trail off, realizing I want to spend time with him, whether he's doing it because he thinks I'm not mentally stable enough to be in the car or because he wants to. Since he hasn't outright said anything, I try not to overthink it and just enjoy his presence.

Although, I really hope it's the latter. Hope. I'm hoping. I never hope.

"Let's," I begin smirking wickedly, "make them wait a little longer."

He smiles again and my heart flips at the sight of those protruding dimples. He pulls me by the hand into the middle of the feather reed grass patch, holding the long strands apart so they don't wack my face.

"What if... what if someone's also... you know?" If only I could be as blunt as him and Hannah.

"Had intercourse here?" He answers for me, grinning mischievously.

"Yeah..." wait till I find something to make fun out of him. Then we'll see who's grinning at who.

He removes his leather jacket and lays it on the flat ground, where our feet have pressed the tall strands against the ground.

"Is that okay?"

I cringe at what he must have just placed his jacket on but nod my head yes.

"We should torture them for another ten minutes because it will take time getting to Peacocks." Truth is, I don't want to obligate him more than I already have if it was the former reason. Ten minutes is better than nothing.

He nods his head yes, however, I don't miss the hint of disappointment in his eyes.

I want to press him, find out why that look is there. But the coward in me won't let me and part of me is afraid of his answer or lack thereof.

I cautiously sit down, careful not to jostle the tall grass and Damien follows suit. His arm presses against mine and I turn my head to the side, discover his gaze already on me. His knees are up and his elbows rest against them, hanging loosely between his legs.

"What are you thinking?" He asks, leaning forward and pushing my hair behind my ear. He does that a lot and I find that I like it, a lot.

"About our deal," I say. He drops his hand and I feel him draw away from me without even moving an inch.

I hate how quickly he's pulling away when not even ten minutes ago it felt as if he was trying to pull me into him.

"I don't have anything." He tips his head back and gazes at the sky.

"I don't believe you."

The words we uttered not so long ago— to always be there for each other, replay inside my head. I stare into his eyes and try to say with my own, "open up to me too. Let me be here for you too." I want to say the words out loud but I'm scared of him pulling away further.

He releases a ragged breath. "It's the truth."

"It can be anything, really." I angle my body his way, leaning on my left hand.