Chapter 66

Without hesitation, I open my mouth to say yes. Luckily I come to my senses and snap it shut.

His kindness is doing things it shouldn't to my heart. A huge warning I need to get away from him and stay away.

A shadow looms over his face when I don't respond. "You want me to go?" He half asks.

Dropping my gaze I nod my head yes. I don't want him to go. I need him to go.

Ever since I met Damien the words want and need have become two very distinct meanings to me. When before they were one and the same.

"I'll leave on one condition."

I tilt my head back to look at him with a furrow to my brows. "Condition?"

"Yeah. I'm not leaving you alone unless you call someone over. A family member. A friend. An enemy. I don't fucking care as long as there's someone here with you."

His words sink deep into my chest. It's too much and my ribs press down on my lungs, restricting my oxygen supply.

I hate this Damien. I want the Damien who blows smoke in my face back. It would make my next words so much easier on my heart.

"Damien I'm not entirely telling you to leave because of my mum. The main reason I'm telling you to leave is because-." I stop and decide to take a different yet truthful route. "Like I said earlier, I'm a mess on my periods. Especially the first two days. I don't want anyone to witness that. Don't let anyone witness it. I'm already mortified you did. So I'm sorry no. I'm not going to call anyone over..."

A piece of hair falls in front of my eyes and he pushes it behind my ear. "It's nothing to be mortified over. If I made you feel like that I'm sorry. I was- am just concerned. However, secluding yourself doesn't help. It makes things worse."

I pull back both emotionally and physically. Well not completely with the former but I put all my strength into it. "Please just go Damien."

"No. You used me to stop your breathing. I'm not leaving you alone."

"Then I'll call the police," the words sputter out of me the second the idea enters my head.

I'm about to take them back until he nonchalantly says, "go ahead. Then they'll admit you to the hospital where you will be properly supervised by professionals."

Shivers run up my spine at the mention of a hospital. He recoils a little and I can tell from the look on his face he regrets bringing it up. But not entirely.

"I'm eighteen. They can't force me to go if I don't want to."

"They can if you're a risk to yourself."

I burst up off the bed, fuming and scared and needing to get as far away from him as possible.

"I'm not suicidal Damien. Yes, I self-harm but I'm always careful." I squeeze my eyes shut as soon as the words leave my lips. I bite my tongue. Hard. Punishing myself. I wasn't supposed to say that.

"Rose." I feel his breath against my skin.

My heart is beating so hard and loud inside my chest that I didn't hear him get up and approach me.

watching how the bird on his chest comes to life as his chest heaves with his harsh breaths.

"Rose," he repeats, placing a palm on my cheek and stroking it with the pad of his thumb. "Look at me."

His touch comforts me, momentarily blinding me and I lean into his palm. Only for a weak mili-second.

"Your t-shirt is in the washing machine. I'll get it for you whilst you get ready." I whirl around and practically run out of the room. I would have run if my foot wasn't sore from the glass shard that pierced it yesterday.