13 - Truth?

{ Pope POV }

We are on the way to my house where my dad wants to talk to my best friend, more like brother, JJ.

I know that it's about his dad and I can see that JJ is preparing himself for the worst. He was slowly walking besides me, breathing heavily.

He's always been touchy on his home situation, and he never told anyone about it, not even me, John B or Kie.

He used to make up lies when he came to school with a bruise, like he walked into a door or something. And we believed it until we were about 13, it happened way too often for him to just be walking into doors. Once we found out he made us swear that we would never tell anyone. And we kept out promise, but today that could change...

He has his hair so far down that it is going in his eyes, and he has his cap really low down aswell.
"Bro, you don't need your hair that far down it's literally going in your eyes. Your gonna walk into a tree or something" I exclaimed pulling his cap back a bit.

"Hey, stop!" He said, slapping my hands and pulling his cap back down.
"It's fine like this" he added barely even looking at me.

"Look JJ, I get it you've always been sensitive on this subje-"
"Shut up! I'm not sensitive, okay!" he snapped and then stormed off infront of me.

"JJ" I called running after him. What the fuck have I done?

He only stopped once we got about half way there. He kicked the tree once, but then thought better of it and decided to throw himself against it.

I caught up to him, he was just leaning against the tree with his cap in one hand and his other hand was running through his hair.

It really hurt to see him like this. He's definitely broken but would never ever admit to it. We've only seen this come through 2 or 3 times and it was all in the past 2 weeks.

I don't blame him though, he has gone through most of his life without a single breakdown. Instead, he just bottled it up and used it as the fuel for his anger.

JJ's breakdowns are very differentl to a normal person's.
But after losing John B I guess he just completely broke any self worth he may have had before. Like it fully shattered his soul. It broke us all but it had a way worse impact on JJ than anyone else.

Me and Kie are both devastated but we talked the other day, just me and her and we said we are just gonna try and move on from it and help JJ as much as we can. We just think it's better to try and continue with our lives.

We have put a halt to the gold hunting for now and we know that Ward probably has it somewhere. I don't see any point in doing it without John B now.

"I don't wanna do this Pope, why do we have to do this!? What if like the police or something get involved. W-what if other people work it out! I can't keep on lying" he skeptically rambled.
"He's gonna kill me Pope" he whispered after a moment's silence.
I shuddered.

But than quickly snapped back into reality.
"JJ" I said cupping his face in my hands.
"If Luke touches you one more time than I swear to god, I will fucking beat his filthy, abusive ass. It is not going to happen anymore. I won't let him hurt you again, let alone kill you." I assured him, with gritted teeth.

He shook his head.
"No, that's not-" he started
"Sh sh sh, let's just go okay, you can lie your way out of this if you really want"
JJ just glared at me intensely.
"But It would be good though if you told the truth because than Luke will get his well deserved time in jail."I finished

"He'll lie, he will prove himself innocent! Why would the cops believe me, a minor, over a fully grown man? When have they ever done anything good for us? They are the reason John B's dead, do you not get that!? He angrily stated with clenched fists.