32 - Heyward's Sacrifice

{ Kiara POV }

Shoupe had just left the room, completely ignoring Pope's request. What an asshole!

JJ stayed face flat on the floor, I could see his shoulders rising up and down at an abnormal rate.

"JJ do you think you could just try and get up?" I asked him gently.
"Fuck this" he muttered angrily, but I noticed that his voice was slightly off.

"How the hell am I meant to get off the floor, am I supposed to use my face to push myself up?" He said while struggling.

"Uh yeah" Pope replied.
"Argh, shit it's impossible" JJ gave up and smacked his face back down onto the hard concrete.

______________________________________

"The hell is going on here!?" McCoy called out peering down at JJ.
"What do you think happened? Your bastard friend cuffed him and left him on the floor" Pope said cockily.

McCoy scoffed but he went in and picked up the blonde boy.
"You look alright to me" he said scanning JJ's body for any sign of injury.

"Don't touch me" he objected, pulling away.
"Relax kid"McCoy scolded "I heard about what you did to the Sheriff and it is unacceptable behaviour"

JJ rolled his eyes
"He deserved it" he muttered under his breath.

I don't even know what happened but I'm guessing he attacked Shoupe, but JJ wouldn't have done it for no reason. Something must of happened to cause him to have an outburst like that.

"Right guys, at the moment the sheriff is on the phone to all your parents, and I'm guessing he'll back soon to explain what will be happening to you lot"

Just great! Mum and Dad are down in LA and they're supposed to be there until Monday evening. They're not going to be happy if they're gonna have to come all the way back here just for me.

I looked to JJ and yet again my heart ached for him, I don't understand these feelings. It's so confusing...

{ Narrator POV }

Sheriff Shoupe was back within about 20 minutes. And the three teens look at him in malice, waiting for what he's going to say.

"Right I just called all of your parents and of course they were disappointed that you were here again. And I can imagine they would be especially unhappy with a certain young man..." He darted his eyes to JJ, who was averting his gaze.

"Anyways there is a bail for each of you to be paid-"
"-wait what? I thought we weren't getting charged" JJ interrupted

"You have to make a payment for our time that you've consumed-"
"Your the ones who arrested us!" JJ argued back

"I think your pushing your luck here boy. You do know that assaulting any member of the law enforcement is considered an offence. And one that isn't taken lightly either. But we've agreed to let you off, just this once" Shoupe explained.

That made JJ shut his mouth.

"Kiara, your mum and dad will be here by the evening to pay your bail"
Kie nodded and bit the inside of her cheeks anxiously.

"Pope your parents are on the way right now, son"

Shoupe let out a deep sigh before continuing.
"And JJ... Your dad doesn't want to pay your bail"

"Of course" JJ muttered, unsurprisingly.
Kie's and Pope's eyes went wide.

"So unless someone else pays,you'll be here for a little while just doing a bit of service" Shoupe spoke with angsty.
"The fuck!" JJ half yelled

"But he has school on Monday" Kiara spoke up.
"Yeah, come on man this surely isn't fai-"

"JJ stop, I have an idea okay" Pope interrupted

He immediately knew what it was and tried to stop him.
"Dude no, it's okay please don't" JJ begged "I can't do that your old man"
"Just shut up" Pope said dismissively.

And as if by magic Heyward suddenly appeared in the room.
"Oh my god, Pope my boy. We drove here as fast as we could when we got the call" he said running up to him.

"Open this door right now" Heyward demanded the officer.
He did as as he was told.

"How dare they accuse you of something and than make us pay" Heyward declared, while patting Pope's shoulder affectionately.

Pope just nodded and he glanced over to JJ, who gave him a look saying; don't-do-it.

"Hey Kie, darling how you doing" Heyward smiled at the girl.
"I'm alright" she replied and gave Pope a quick hug.
"So sweet" Heyward chuckled

"And JJ what about you lad, I see that you've got the cuffs on. What's that for, officer?" Heyward said turning to face Shoupe.

"Nothing you need to worry about" He scoffed.

"Well than here's your money" he spat and handed the cash directly to Shoupe.

"Dad I'm sorry but is there anyway that we could pay for JJ's bail too?" Pope pleaded
"What?-"
"No, no Heyward please it's okay, you don't have to do that" JJ said quickly

"No kiddo, I'm all set now. I'll pay for you"
"Thankyou dad"

"I object" JJ announced.
"Well If Mr Heyward here is paying for you than you haven't really got a choice" Shoupe explained

"But -"
"No 'buts' lad, I'm paying and that's final" Heyward dug out another wad of cash and handed it to the officer. He sacrificed another $600 for JJ.

"Thankyou so much but you really did not have to do that" JJ said guiltily.

"So does that mean he can go?" Pope asked
"No, it means that we'll reach out to his father again and he'll come collect him" Shoupe said.

Everyone's face in the room dropped at the mention of JJ's dad.

"You can go now" Shoupe ordered, shooing away the Heyward family.
"JJ, Kie, please text me okay!" Pope called out right before he was out of sight.

{ JJ POV }

"Ok than, you two will be here until your parents arrive" He said to Kie and I, before leaving to make the call.

I looked at Kie and my heart dropped. I knew what she was thinking and I was thinking the same...