Volume 8, Chapter 5 - "The Day The World Caught On Fire"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

The gauntlet had been thrown. It was only a matter of time until someone fired the first bullet. For a while, neither side made any moves on the other side's territory, too cautious of each other to provoke them, especially the Earthlings. We might have had more troops, ships and planes to spare but numbers can only get you so far when you're charging towards an army straight out of a science fiction novel with weapons that made your own firearm look like a primitive bow and arrow. And not to mention the Imperial Integrity Division could replace its troops and vehicles as quickly as the Earthling armies destroyed them with a trip to one of the thousands of military factories that had been dotted around Remnant's landscape. Looking back, I don't know what was going through our heads when we thought that we could stand up and fight back, and I wasn't alone in that belief. The whole planet was in disarray thanks to Spectre's interdimensional broadcast, people had lost hope in the capability of the United Nations as leaders now that they had been exposed as the ones who had lit Spectre's candle of battle, not that I blamed them. Words could not express how furious I was at our world's leaders for falling into Spectre's trap of giving him an excuse to go to war. Personally, I never thought I would live to see a war. I, and everyone else, thought that the concept of conflict was taken care of by the brave, gallant souls of the First and Second World Wars who fought valiantly for the freedom we have today, but sadly, it seemed like their sacrifices would be in vain after all. I managed to find a report on what happened on the twentieth of March when the I.I.D first fired its weapons as an act of war on the United States military base in Florida, not to mention all of the soldiers that I talked to who were stationed there that day, to document what exactly happened during the attack. I distinctly remember when the United Nations made a worldwide broadcast, expressing that every country was ready for any military attack. Oh, how naive they were. Nobody could have prepared for what was to come...

(No one's P.o.V)

Eleven, forty-five p.m., March the twentieth, twenty-XX. It was an ironically quiet night for what was about to fall upon the Florida military base. Radars were being carefully watched for any sign of unusual activity. However, suddenly, all of the screens in the radar room changed to nothing but static! The whole room was in hysteria instantly, everyone trying desperately to get the radar back online but it was all for nothing; they were completely blind. If the radar wasn't compromised, perhaps they could have fought back. Soon, the whirring of engines filled the air and when one of the men manning the radar looked outside, he called for the coronel while never breaking his lock on the skies above.

Radarman: "Coronel Johnson, you need to see this, Sir!"

Up above in the sky were hundreds upon hundreds of Heralds, Imperial bomber ships which had a body shaped like two crescent moons with a circular opening in the middle, the two pieces of the body held together by an electromagnetic field. There was an elevated cockpit at the back of the body, and the perimeter around the inside of the circular opening was filled with Dust crystals, which were charged up by lasers shot through them to generate a sphere of destructive energy in the middle. In addition, there was also a massive Icarus and Zephyr fighter escort to protect the bombers. Spectre was not taking any chances with this first attack, especially since it was targeting one of the world's leading superpowers. The soldiers below could not believe the scale of this attack as they stared up hopelessly into the skies.

Coronel Johnson: "God almighty, help us..."

Thousands of Dust bombs were dropped on the base, destroying the planes and jets before they could even take off, destroying their radars and transmitters so they could not call for help and causing massive amounts of casualties, burning people to a crisp, freezing them solid, or just impaling them with sharp spikes of ice or earth Dust! Not even the Anti-Aircraft guns had a chance to stop the bombers; the Icaruses took care of them first with their blaster guns. By the time the rest of the soldiers had armed themselves, a wormhole suddenly opened on the airstrip and who emerged from it but Commander Azure and the Five-Hundred and First Legion of the Imperial Army. He mockingly waved to the soldiers