Volume 7, Chapter 6 - "Like Lambs To The Slaughter"

(BF/N BF/LN's P.o.V)

My reflexes instantly took over and reacted to the scorching hot flames coming closer to my face! I moved my head out of the way of Cinder's firey punch at the last minute and responded with my own fire punch, which she blocked with her arm, following up by jabbing me in the stomach and pushing me away. We were sparring without weapons and even though this may seem pointless, it wasn't. By sparring with me in this way, Cinder hoped to help me learn to control my Semblance a little better. And, it was somewhat working. Both our arms were engulfed in flames and hand-to-hand combat became much more dangerous. But, that was just the way Cinder trained me; as much danger as possible. I almost died a few times! However, we had done sparring sessions like this before but this one was particularly dangerous because before we started, she taught me how to call upon the most basic form of fire magic, the magic that she was first taught by Salem, she told me, magic that anyone with enough tenacity could learn. I wasn't going anywhere with it but she had the solution - she infused my Aura with a minuscule shot of her own magic without hesitation, God it was a ride! But, she started attacking me before I had the time to recover from the shock! Cinder was obviously the more experience pyrokinetic warrior than I was but that didn't stop her kicking the crap out of me! Every blow that came felt more painful than the last. I fell onto my knees to try and recover.

Cinder: "Is that all?"

(BF/N): "Geez, woman!

Cinder: "Get up!

I couldn't stop to even breathe because I had to block Cinder's incoming strike! The blazing blows kept on coming, the fire on our arms painting the air with a wispy, orange line as they glided back and forth between us! My strikes were quick and powerful but Cinder kept on blocking them without any sign of struggle, it was as if she could see my moves before I even made them! Then, in the blink of an eye, the Fall Maiden had vaulted over me and shot a stream of fire into my back of such intensity that felt like it came straight from a jet engine! I was thrust upon my knees again and another relentless wave crashed upon me. Just then, I became so angry that I lost sense of the world around me; all I could concentrate on was beating Cinder, as impossible a feat as that was for me! I felt my Aura blaze and my vision was tinted in a violent red! Before I even knew what I was doing, I had spun around, caught the fire in my hands, forming it into a large ball of fire and had flung it towards her! My Semblance had spontaneously activated without me telling it too! Cinder managed to step out of the way just in time and force the fire to fizzle out before it hit the street below as it soared to the ground. As I dropped to my knees in exhaustion, my Aura broke and my vision returned to normal. When I looked up, Cinder was staring at me in shock.

(BF/N): "Wow. So, how did I do?"

Cinder: "Uh, well, you almost incinerated the whole town."

(BF/N): "Okay, okay. Is that good?"

Cinder: "I know that I've been teaching you to harness your emotions to make yourself more powerful but you have got to get that Semblance of yours under control, (BF/N)!"

(BF/N): "Alright, alright, I will! But, it's difficult."

Cinder: "The difficulty does not enter into it. Your Semblance is dangerous, it acts without your will."

(BF/N): "I know but it's not my fault!"

Cinder: "You're too soft, (BF/N)."

(BF/N): "Huh?"

Cinder: "Haven't you been paying attention to anything I've taught you at all? You've got to be the dominant force, that's what I keep telling you. And, there's no point in saying, "I can't do it", if you do, then you're doing nothing but wasting my time."