Volume 7, Chapter 5 - "Predetermination"

(Spectre's P.o.V)

You are probably wondering how a Grimm horde of that size could've possibly originated from the Phantom's planet and how they managed to conveniently find their way to the exact beach where those children were spending their day. Well, the truth is, we were the cause of that, although, it was not entirely intentional, it was caused by an accident. Let me inform you of what happened the night before. It was rather a quiet night compared to the typical status quo. There was not much business to discuss in terms of government policy or foreign affairs so the day was spent in the research labs, further developing my device that could slice through dimensions; a project that I codenamed "Project - Omniscience". That event with the mirror made me realise that those children could have survived the Dimension Storm and had ended up in a parallel reality to ours. I had to find out if this was so and Arthur was all too eager to oblige. We had been working on Project - Omniscience for months but we had not been taking it too seriously as we had put the matter to a vote and concluded that dimensional travel was not in Remnant's best interest at the time and to be blunt, I found it to have potential to become extremely dangerous for those attempting to make it through the Dimension Storm. However, once the Phantom and I spoke to each other in my mirror, a scientific anomaly which I labelled a "dimensional rupture" in the space-time continuum, I decided to place more funding into pushing this project forward and finally making dimensional travel possible. And, the night before in the testing chamber of one of Atlas' top laboratories, we almost succeeded but we severely underestimated the power of the Dimension Storm.

Spectre: "Arthur, are you sure this is safe?"

Watts: "Absolutely. Trust me, this device is going to work."

Afton: "Alright, but I'm still going behind the screen."

Spectre: "Start it up."

While Afton, Sycamore, Zander, Tyrian, the other Atlesian scientists and I stood behind the protective screen, Arthur moved over to the computer connected to the device and inputting the command word to turn on the device. By using the same settings configuration that was used to send the Phantom and his friends away as a starting point, the device would reconfigure itself to find which dimension it sent him and his friends to. Then, it started to make a whirring noise as the Dust inside its core that gave it its power was beginning to ignite. After a few seconds, it shot out an extremely thin blue laser at the wall and that was all.

Afton: "That's it?! Wasn't a hole supposed to open?"

Afton's question would soon be answered, though. All of a sudden, the laser stopped firing and the plane of reality on which Remnant resided split with great violence, creating a vacuum that was attempting to suck everyone and everything into Null Space! The explosion that created this split in spacetime was so great that it threw us all back against the wall and smashed the protective screen! The vacuum's power was incredibly strong, so much so that I had to conjure a wall of shadows using my magic to stop it from sucking the scientists in!

Spectre: "Watts, shut it down!!!"

Watts: "I have, my lord!!!"

Spectre: "Then, shut down the lab's power supply!"

As Arthur was sprinting over to the laboratory's circuit breaker in the middle of one of the walls, I kept conjuring black walls between him to protect him from the vacuum. Then, the whole laboratory went dark, apart from the shining blue winds that were produced by the rift! Even though the laboratory's power supply was cut, the portal had remained open, still sucking in everything in range! I had to stop it myself! As soon as Arthur was back with us, I instantly forced my demonically-charged Aura into the portal and after a great struggle, forced it to close! Everyone in the laboratory was traumatised by what had just transpired.