Volume 2, Chapter 3 - "Caliber Go Clubbing"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

With a slash of her weapon, my opponent sent me flying towards a wall and made me crash straight into it! I struggled to get back up as I hunched over, trying to get my breath back, my opponent saw this as an opportunity to strike and took another slash at me but my reflexes took over and I managed to block her attack this time. Unfortunately, my grip wasn't that strong so, with a flick of my opponent's wrist, my sword flew out of my hands towards somewhere far away from where I was standing. Another slash came my way so I rolled over to the side, then I immediately got back up to chase after my sword. Suddenly, I felt something tugging on my legs and I tripped over, landing face-first on the floor! Straight after this, I heard a loud beeping coming from my mask, I looked over to the side and saw that my Aura Monitor was almost all in the red! Then, the lights came on.

Glynda: "This match is over!"

My opponent offered me her hand so I took it, letting her pull me back up onto my feet. With a solemnly disappointed voice, I congratulated her on her victory.

(Y/N): "Nice job, Rosie."

Ruby: "Hehe. Thanks. You weren't too bad yourself."

I knew she was trying to be encouraging but I doubt that she actually thought that. Even I knew that I couldn't keep up with her for even a second in that fight, I loathed getting picked for the duels we had in our combat classes, I saw it as just another time to get beaten up. I looked over to the class and saw Ryan holding a flag with my emblem on it, similar to the one Blake had when Weiss and Christine were fighting that Boarbatusk in that one Grimm Studies class.

(Y/N): "Where do these people keep getting all this stuff? Oh, yeah, the Cupboard of Many Things..."

Glynda: "Ruby Rose is the victor. Would you both please return to your seats?"

I picked up my sword off the ground, slid it back into its scabbard on my back and returned to my seat, along with Ruby. I sat back down with my teammates, Ryan trying to be as supportive as he could.

Ryan: "Well done, man. She's quite the tough opponent."

I did acquire a bruised side from when she kicked me in my left side when our weapons were in a clash... and it had decided to start hurting as soon as he said that.

(Y/N): "T-Think I don't know that? So... my win-loss ratio is now?"

Ryan: "Um... let's see, that's plus one to your opponent's score. So, that's twenty-six to your opponents-"

(Y/N): "And nil to me, you don't have to say it. Don't worry, it doesn't matter."

We both soon shut up though when Glynda addressed the class, neither of us wanted to end up in trouble... again.

Glynda: "With the Vytal Festival drawing so close, we must proceed to more advanced techniques and learn to devise combat strategies quickly and efficiently. In the Vytal Festival Tournament, you will not be battling on a plain battlefield. Instead, the stadium is programmed to simulate life-like replicas of different environments. For example, you may be fighting your opponents in a dark forest or a sandy desert or, maybe even, a vast blue ocean. You must learn to adapt your fighting style to these new environments, which means that your homework is to familiarise yourself with these different battlefields. You will be tested on them at the end of the week. Class dismissed."

We all got up and left the class, a groaning Ryan wandering along behind us. We had our Grimm Studies class next, which meant another of Professor Port's stories. Now, don't get me wrong, some of them were interesting enough, some of them were even funny, but, either way, I had to pay attention to all of them just in case I could pick out something I could use in battle. Although, I did start to grow doubtful of my skills as a Huntsman at that moment in time...