Volume 1, Chapter 1 - "Ruby Rose?!"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

When I came to, I could hear the sounds of car horns and I could see bright flashing lights through my closed eyelids. I opened up my eyes and rubbed my head in pain, wondering how it was I had managed to survive that.

(Y/N): "Whoa! That was terrifying! Lord knows what that was all about. No one's gonna believe me, I can't wait to see everyone's faces when I tell them about this."

My sight then returned to me and I realised that I was lying on a cold, hard pavement in some sort of city. It was moderately futuristic with an old-fashioned look to it, it was kind of hard to describe, but the buildings and well... generally everything didn't look real at all! Even the people looked odd but yet... oddly familiar. I gathered up my backpack that was set beside me and walked down the street, trying to look as normal as I could and find some sort of sign or something that could tell me where I was. I looked up and saw all sorts of space-age ships coming in from the skies!

(Y/N): "How is this all possible? Where am I?"

As I continued my path down the street, I saw passing people staring at me through the corner of my eye. This could only mean that my kind of look was not normal here. I decided to switch from the main streets to the alleyways, there were absolutely no people down them so I was safe from the staring. I was trying to remember what had happened back in the graveyard but I was too mesmerised by the sudden change in scenery to remember. I kept walking down the alleyway until I reached, what looked like, the richer part of the city. It seemed like I had entered the commercial district. There were all kinds of shops on both sides of the road: Bookshops, bars, clothes shops etc. The streets were lit by holographic street lamps and the buildings had an old-fashioned style to them but, in terms of condition, they looked like they had just been built yesterday! Once again, the people were continuously staring at me so I decided to go inside the clothes shop to try and buy a hoodie or something to hide my face. I then felt something on my shoe so I looked down and saw a turquoise plastic card, same size as a credit card, with a black magnetic strip on the back and a small 'L' with two lines through it on the front. I recognised the 'L' symbol but I couldn't quite put my finger on where I knew it from. From the place it was dropped, I assumed it was money so I put it in my pocket and entered the clothes shop. It mostly sold jackets, coats, boots and hats but I didn't manage to find any sort of clothing that I needed. I decided to walk up to the counter and ask but, unfortunately, the shopkeeper had the same reaction to my face as everyone else did.

Shopkeeper: "Hello. How may I help- oh my God..."

(Y/N): "Don't ask. I'm looking for any sort of long clothing that hides the face, I think you can guess what I need it for."

Shopkeeper: "T-Try the shelves in the corner..."

(Y/N): "Thank you."

I walked over to the corner shelves that the shopkeeper had mentioned and found an assortment of gloves and coats but nothing to hide my face.

(Y/N): "Oh no... umm... let's see... come on..."

I rummaged through the shelves until my hand was caught on something sharp. I recoiled my hand from the sudden prick on my finger but then I carefully put my hand underneath the object, taking great care not to prick myself on its sharp edges again, and pulled it out. It was quite a large mask... well not really a mask... sort of... well... I didn't really know what it was. All I knew was two things, it went on my head and what it looked like. It had two large pointed lenses which reached from my eyes down to just below my chin and the top of those lenses were bordered by a black piece of plastic decorated with yellow triangular shapes in between the lenses and the black colour. The lenses were very hard to see out of from the front but, once I looked through them the other way round, I could see out of them clearly! It seemed that it covered up my eyes and cheekbones but not my chin or mouth, although I think people would have been more interested in the mask than anything else. I held it up in the air so that I didn't have to turn around and show my face to the shopkeeper again.