Volume 9, Chapter 5 - "Sunset on Shibuya"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

There were very few times where I could revert to being a normal human being. Being a Huntsman and the Headmaster of Amnesty Academy was not a nine-to-five job, it was a way of life. So, whenever I got the chance, I would leave the academy in the capable hands of my friends and coworkers and take a day off or two. This time, I decided to spend the day at home with my family. Having Death crawling up your backside every day helps you to appreciate the things you would normally take for granted, such as spending time with your parents. I missed them and I wanted to take a day off to visit. So, I did; I stayed for dinner, which I was helping to cook with my mother. Just put the Phantom back in the wardrobe and be (Y/N) (L/N) for a while. Eventually, she had to grab something off the top shelf and being the smaller woman she was, she could not reach it.

(Y/N): "I've got it, Mum."

I smiled and let the bowl she was after float down to her using my Semblance to move it with just a thought. She smiled and gently took it from my metaphysical grasp.

Mum: "Thank you, dear."

What? No one said being (Y/N) (L/N) meant that I could not use my powers as well! Being the Phantom is just a title, a responsibility. The powers are shared between the two of us. God, I sound like I'm still infected.

(Y/N): "It's okay, Mum. How long do you think that'll take?"

Mum: "Oh, another ten minutes or so. You know, it's funny."

(Y/N): "What is?"

Mum: "You know what I mean. Us, your father and I, we've gotten used to your powers. To be honest, I never thought I would."

(Y/N): "Hehe. Is that a compliment or an insult? If I'm honest, I was terrified when I brought the girls home for the first time and I heard you two shouting your heads off for me downstairs. I was scared you weren't going to even let me out of the house once my secret was out."

Mum: "Hm-mm. I was worried, of course, I was. But, you see, baby, you're my son and nothing will ever change that. The only difference is that you've grown up. So, I had to grow up as well."

(Y/N): "Haha! Mum, you're like twice my age."

Mum: "Maybe, but let me give you a bit of parental advice. Nobody learns everything about parenting, not from books, films, etcetera. Look at me. I'm still learning. You share the learning experience with your child, you learn from each other. You teach your child about the world and he or she teaches you how to be a better mother or father for them before they leave to live their own lives. Trust me, (Y/N), it's worth it. You'll see when you have kids."

(Y/N): "Ha! Yeah. If."

Mum: "When!"

(Y/N): "If you say so."

I gave my mother a quick kiss on the cheek and a hug before we returned to our cooking. Gods, I missed out on these moments a lot when I was growing up. I never realised how important they were. Now, I just wish I could turn back the clock and start my life all over again. But, what's done is done so I must make up for it by making the most of the time I still have left; it is the same rule for every last one of us.

(Y/N): "Oh. Where's Dad?"

Mum: "Said he was going for a walk. He'll be back soon, he always is. Always on the dot."

(Y/N): "Never a second lost, always on time to everything. Sometimes, his efficiency is frightening. Hehe."

Mum: "It was nice of you to stay for dinner, sweetheart."

(Y/N): "That's okay, Mum. I guess it's just that... well, I've been away for a long time. Besides, times like these, well, they sort of remind me that I'm human."