Volume 11, Chapter 5 - "Confessions"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

Yes, we were going to host the Vytal Festival that year. Dad had rung up Glynda and asked her to see if she could convince the Remnantian councils to allow Amnesty Academy to host the event. Luckily, as she was Headmistress of Beacon Academy, she had some influence on them and after a few tense back-and-forth debates, the officials finally gave in and agreed to let us host it on the island. I must say, that news did relieve a lot of tension in us. For a moment, I wasn't sure whether we were going to get it but Glynda came through for us - Gods, bless her. That let me drift into a peaceful sleep that night. I was having another random dream, this time, it was our chibi selves playing football. I started talking in my sleep, or at least, that's what Ruby told me.

(Y/N): "Mm... put me in, coach..."

Suddenly, my Scroll started ringing, which forced Ruby and me awake with a jolt.

(Y/N): "What's the score?! Huh? Oh."

I reached over and switched on the lamp on the bedside table before I picked up my Scroll.

(Y/N): "Yes? Yes? Hello?"

???: "Bonjour, mon ami! Je m'appelle Ryan!"

(Y/N): "What?"

Ryan: "It's me, Ryan. Just calling to tell you everything's going well so far."

(Y/N): "Well, that's great but why are you calling me at this time? It's half past four in the morning."

Ryan: "It's nearing nine o'clock in France."

(Y/N): "What? You mean, you're there already?"

Ryan: "No, I'm... I'm just saying, it's nearly nine o'clock in France."

(Y/N): "So, you haven't set off yet?"

Ryan: "No, we're still at the dock, just about to set sail."

(Y/N): "So, you called me just to say... ugh!"

I quickly hung up on him and shook my head. Ruby, lying beside me, rubbed her eyes and let out a yawn.

Ruby: "Who was that?"

(Y/N): "It's Ryan, I sent him, Sable, Roman and Neo out on a booze run."

Ruby: "Ah, okay... wait! A "booze run"? You mean our drinks at the festival will be smuggled goods?! Are you mad?! What if they get caught?!"

(Y/N): "They're not going to get caught, Ruby. They've been doing this all their lives."

Ruby: "(Y/N), we are smuggling alcohol!"

(Y/N): "Would you mind speaking a bit louder? 'Cause, there's a geezer down there at the other end of the island who didn't quite catch that! Look, there's nothing wrong with it, Ruby. It's not drugs or guns, that sort of stuff kills people. It's just a bit of drink for the festival. I'm trying to bring down the cost of having a good time, I thought you'd be pleased. You do like your vodka, don't you?"

Ruby: "That was an accident! (Y/N), smuggling alcohol is illegal!"

(Y/N): "It's only illegal because we aren't paying any import tax. It's just that with us funding the rest of the festival preparations, I thought it best that we save as much as can. They're not smugglers, they're couriers. Besides, what do you think the government is going to do with that money? They're only gonna go and buy another ballistic missile, aren't they?"

Ruby: "So, you're saying that smuggling alcohol is a move towards world peace?"

(Y/N): "Every little helps, Ruby."