Volume 7, Chapter 3 - "The Maiden's Prodigy"

(No one's P.o.V)

(Y/N) was troubled by the plan that Mercury had told him about the night before. Both he and Jaune were not back yet and he had not heard anything from them concerning how things went. The next morning, at precisely eleven o'clock, everyone, par Cinder, was gathered just for a hang-out session alongside an undecided moment of sparring with each other in the park. While I was watching everybody beating each other up, (BF/N) and Tom were playing another game of Magic: The Gathering on one of the cafe tables.

Tom: "And, I'll use my Baneslayer Angel to kill your Akoum Hellkite and win the game."

(BF/N): "What?!"

Tom: "It's a good hand, isn't it?"

(BF/N): "Let me see that!"

(BF/N) swiftly seized the cards in Tom's hand and examined them before raging at him; his eyes turned a fiery orange!

(BF/N): "You fixed that hand when I went to drain the main vein!"

Tom: "Wow, sore loser. Besides, I don't need to cheat to beat you. Why would you think I was cheating anyway?"

(BF/N): "Because that's not the hand that I dealt you-!"

Tom: "AH-HA!!! So, you were cheating! That just proves that I'm the better player!"

By that point, (BF/N) didn't have a comeback so he just sank back into his seat with a childish pout on his face; he was the sorest loser I had ever met in my life. The two of them gathered their cards together and left to watch the sparring session between Weiss and Vanessa with me and the others! Weiss was evidently the more experienced fighter and her Remnantian heritage assisted her in her match against Vanessa but she was putting up a fight as well. It was rather surprising to see, despite the limited training she's had, she was managing to keep up with Weiss.

(Y/N): "Hey, Rosie? How's Vanessa gotten so much better so quickly?"

Ruby: "Weiss has been tutoring her outside of our regular training sessions."

(Y/N): "Hm? Why would she do that?"

Ruby: "Hm. You know, I don't really know either."

Yang: "I suppose it's 'cause they get on pretty well."

(Y/N): "Yeah."

I then snuck a peek at Ruby and Tom, which was all I needed to come to my final conclusion on that mystery.

(Y/N): "I think I have an idea why."

As soon as I mumbled that under my breath, my attention was snapped back to the sparring match. Vanessa had blasted lightning Dust out of Arcana but Weiss blocked it with an ice dome, similar to the one she used on the underground train during the Vale Breach. On contact with the Dust, the dome shattered and with a quick flick of Myrtenaster, the remaining shards were flung straight at Vanessa! Unluckily for her, Vanessa's reflexes were not fast enough and she took the entire collection of sharp ice straight to the face! She was thrown off her feet and slid across the ground on her back.

Vanessa: "Another perfectly good shirt ruined."

Weiss: "Focus!"

Her head shot up at Weiss' command; Weiss was moving swiftly towards her with her rapier pointed straight at her chest! In response, she jumped to her feet and flicked out Arcana's rapier, parrying away Myrtenaster while stepping to the side. Their blades locked in battle with each other, the two of them looked like female versions of two of The Three Musketeers. Weiss kept instructing Vanessa on her form as they duelled, telling her where to place her feet, advising her to keep her back straight and raise her other hand behind her as ballast. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed two Remnantian boys coming to join us, the grey-haired one reading a magazine as he was walking.