Volume 4, Chapter 3 - "Life on the Road"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

We were stopping at whatever towns, villages or any other kinds of settlements on our way to Mistral, either doing missions for Lien or buying supplies along the way. This might be hard to believe but we didn't have to buy much Dust because we weren't using it very often; travelling in the car meant that we were too quick to be ambushed by the creatures of Grimm in the forests and general countryside. We had just completed a quick clear-out mission; eliminating a pack of Beowolves from the surrounding area of a tiny settlement in the country, and I decided to spend my cut from the previous mission to buy parts to improve the Tachyon's performance while my teammates collected the reward for the mission we just completed. It would've been impossible for any normal guy to work with these parts on Earth since they were so advanced but luckily, I had done a lot of revision on mechanics and car parts once I had got the Tachyon so fitting futuristic mechanical parts onto a futuristic supercar in the right way to make it even better? That was about as difficult as taking a nap! Here's what I did to the Tachyon: Firstly, I had to shed as much weight as possible so I had scratched off the paint and replaced it with carbon fibre decorated with crystals to give it its colour. Next, I took out the seats and made makeshift seats out of comfortable padding placed directly onto the chassis. As for the dashboard... I didn't really have one; all I had was the speedometer, the rev counter and the fuel gauge, that was it! Nothing else! Then, I replaced the tires from the normal ones to race tires. I had also softened the suspension, which meant that the overall straight-line speed improved. Finally, I had lowered the ride height, but not too much, so that drag was reduced as much as possible. Once I had fitted the final support cog to the driveshaft, which would've made sure that the wheels didn't fly off if I suddenly floored it, I wiped the sweat from my brow and cleared my tools away, placing them back inside the boot of the car. Then, I noticed Tooth sitting on the side of the back of the car, looking at me. I smiled when I saw him sat there and scratched his chin; he put his head back, enjoying the scratch while he could.

(Y/N): "Yeah, I know I can be a bit too ambitious sometimes but this will work. Trust me."

Just then, I noticed Ryan, Christine and Brady returning with the reward in hand. We had made three-hundred Lien dollars and sixty-two cents and we agreed to always put aside half of it to spend on food, drink and Dust and we'd each have an equal cut of the remainder of the reward for personal use, which meant that we each had around thirty-seven Lien dollars and fifty-seven cents once we had divided it up; I'm happy that I still had my phone because, for some strange reason, Scrolls do not have calculators on them.

(Y/N): "So, should we set off?"

Christine: "Don't see any reason to stick around."

Ryan: "Alright, I'll get the map."

(Y/N), Christine and Brady: "No, you won't!"

Christine: "We've already discussed this, you've been fired from your previous position as navigator. We drove halfway across Vale thanks to your sophisticated navigating skills, ended up back on the coast!"

(Y/N): "You may be a good sailor, Ryan, but you're the worst navigator since Captain James Cook of the British Empire turned to his crewmen and said 'I'm sick of dreary old London, men. Let's go someplace tropical.'. I'll navigate."

Ryan: "Okay, fine."

We all got back into the car but I didn't start it up. Instead, I was smirking wildly, becoming more and more excited as the seconds ticked by. It wasn't long before they noticed this, though.

Brady: "Did you drink something sugary, little buddy?"

(Y/N): "Nope."

Ryan: "Why are you so jumpy, then?"