Volume 10, Chapter 8 - "Master From The Shadows"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

Well, I guess this was happening. You know, I'd actually quite like to be Spectre for a day. Just to see how that totally wild mind of his works. I still felt as if there was something wrong about this whole arrangement, the whole race in general. We were in the middle of an interdimensional war, why would he jeopardise his chances of winning with this ultimate weapon of his by staging a race? I felt as if I were in a psychedelic dream. Maybe I was. I mean, you can't make this stuff up! An interdimensional race between two species, the route constantly interchanging dimensions through the Dimension Storm, with the finish line at the UN building in New York! If this was a dream, I wanted to wake up from the ridiculousness because absolutely none of it made sense. Nevertheless, I went along with it and formed a racing team. There was no doubt as to who I would choose: my old racing partners, (BF/N) and Tom. The next day after I went and proposed this idea to Spectre, it was officially named the "Tempest Run", named after the fact that we'd be zipping through the Dimension Storm on more than one occasion throughout the race, and all racers participating had a week to prepare. I decided to brush up on my racing skills and so (BF/N), Tom and myself - Team Amnesty - went to a Remnantian racetrack in Vale that I knew to practice (and so that the other two could get some experience in Stunt Racing); our teams came with us as well, although they stayed in the stands. Obviously, the car I was driving was my metal baby, the Tachyon; (BF/N) was still driving his tired old Cortina, claiming that he would not get rid of it until it was run into the ground, and Tom brought his Jaguar - I had retrofitted their cars with the same jacks and one-eighty degree axle setup that I had. Apparently, some of the other teams had the same idea as mine. There were about five teams at the track, including us, except that we were the only Earthling team there. Awkward, I know. Luckily, there was one team there who welcomed us. As soon as I saw the Bumblebee lined up in the pit lane, I smiled.

(Y/N): "Well, well, well, I somehow knew we'd see you four in this race."

Yang: "Heh. Wouldn't miss this for the world."

(BF/N): "So, you guys are competing as well?"

Weiss: "The truth is, we don't have much of a choice?"

Tom: "Ah. Orders?"

Blake: "Spectre said we had to compete to assist the Remnantians and "spice up the race a bit". He knows that Yang and (Y/N) have a racing rivalry. He thought it would make things more interesting."

(BF/N): "What?"

Blake: "I know. I can't get my head around it either."

While the rest of them were discussing the strange circumstances we were in, Ruby and I became still as soon as we locked eyes with each other. We could not help ourselves from smiling and turning slightly pink.

Ruby: "H-Hi, (Y/N)."

(Y/N): "Hi, Ruby."

We could have stayed like that forever. But then, we were broken out of the trance by Yang. She wandered in front of me and just looked at me with a sharp gaze, acting all tough and hard. We shared an awkward stare until I decided to screw with her. I stuck my tongue out at her.

(Y/N): "Blep."

Yang immediately smirked from holding in a laugh. Ruby was not as strong as her sister, she giggled. So adorable! I later learned from them that Ruby, Weiss and Blake would be riding with Yang (shut up, I know what you're thinking) and assisting her as lookouts and navigators during the race. They had magnetic harnesses fitted to the Bumblebee to keep them from falling off the bike. I then noticed the nearly empty vials on their belts, our antidote vials.

(Y/N): "... How are you doing?"

Blake: "... It's not cured but the medicine's been helping us keep control."