Volume 6, Chapter 9 - "Their First Assignment"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

It was a massive rainstorm, it had been pelting down all day way into the late hours of the night. My decision to expand our service to a different building entirely was a good call since it meant that the hunting service we supplied was much more efficient and professional. We had two calls that night, the first one was met by Team RWBY and I assigned the second to Team JNR as I had to stay by the phone and the fact that it was my turn for a rest, but still, I chose to go in to work the phone that day; I had nothing else to do. I had to stay behind that night to do the accounts for our profits and expenses. It was a relatively simple process of maths so I easily got through it while listening to the radio - it had decided to turn on that day; An Innocent Man was playing on the radio station I was listening to - but then, the roof leaked and I was splashed with rainwater. Ignoring the laughs from Jaune and Yang, I took an umbrella and opened it above my head; the places where the rain was coming through were too small to fit the whole thing through.

(Y/N): "Alright, you two, settle down, please. Uh, Jaune, Rosie, where's the money from your jobs?"

As Jaune was walking up to the desk I was working at, the one nearby the window overlooking the main street below, Ruby motioned for Yang to get up as well, she must've been the one who was holding onto the money. Now, I should explain how we made things fair in terms of who got how much money. It worked like this: at the end of the day, each person will place any money they earnt that day on the desk and we'd all get an equal share out of the day's profits once I had taken what I needed to cover any of our expenses. Just as I expected him to, Jaune placed all the money he, Nora and Ren had earnt from their job but Yang's was looking a little short; I looked at her.

Yang: "What? That's all we got- oh, fine."

She then reached further into her pocket and slammed down the remaining money onto my desk, I smiled at her. I brought all the money together and after looking at the accounts, took away what was needed and placed the rest in a separate pile.

(Y/N): "I'll share it out later."

Ruby: "Is that all for tonight?"

(Y/N): "Think so. Better start packing up and head home."

Blake: "That is if we can make it home."

Weiss: "What do you mean?"

Blake: "Take a look outside."

I, along with everyone else, turned to look out of the window; the streets were littered with news teams and camera vans! One of the disadvantages to this office idea was that everyone knew where to find us. There was no chance that we'd be able to make it all the way home without someone following us.

(Y/N): "Vultures."

Yang: "Yeah, I think we're gonna have to stay here for a bit. At least, until they think we're already gone."

(Y/N): "Speaking of disappearing, where's Team Hopeless? Did they go home?"

Ren: "No, they're upstairs."

(Y/N): "Upstairs? Nothing's up there, it's just an empty space. What are they doing up there? Practising?"

Jaune: "Uh, kinda."

I quickly took a look at the feed from the security cameras I decided to implement into the building, not sure why I did it, though, seeing as I would really only need the ones that looked over the outside of the building. I mean, who would want to break into there? I sighed as I saw (BF/N) lying on his back, shuffling his cards, Tom throwing Comet up in the air and catching it, Vanessa lounging by the window on her phone, Alex asleep on the floor and Dick tossing Dust balls in the air. I had hoped they would be doing something productive with their time but I was wrong. As soon as we got the office, (BF/N) had been begging me to let him and the others go out on one of the missions but I was always hesitant. Instead, I just laughed it off and promised. Then, the phone rang, which I had been hoping would not happen due to the current situation we were in and I could tell that the others were feeling the same; none of us fancied going out to face that mob of news reporters and journalists, however, I couldn't refuse to take a call for help so I breathed deeply and answered it, accidentally splashing myself with a trickle of water as I reached for the phone.