Myriad

"So I called superman" Kara explained watching out the window with her arms crossed over the chest as she waits for your cousin to arrive but you can't help but roll your eyes at the mention of the man.

"Oh great, more the merrier" you sarcastically added falling into the comfort of your chair as Cat leans against your desk.

Cat tilts her head to look over to you as Kara continued to scan the sky above. "Do you have a thing against superman?" Cat whispers with genuine interest in your hatred towards your cousin.

"How much time w-."

"There he is" Kara yells cheerily cutting you off from your own thoughts but her voice drops as Superman falls down in to the crowd below causing you to jump up at the window to look towards the marching brainwashed civilians. 

"Well that certainly doesn't look good." A voice calls out peering over your shoulder to look at the people below. You spin on your heel to see Max Lord of all people walk in with a smile.

"Why am I not surprised that your brain is intact, Max?" Cat Grant questions with a hint of disgust at his presence, still sat on the corner of your desk inspecting a frame of you and Kara that she had not so secretly placed on your desk.

"Wait you let him free?" You exclaimed furring your brows over to Kara who's still in shock for Superman's departure. She doesn't say anything and stays watching the window as if he will just fly right back up and save the city.

"What is it they say? Only cockroaches will survive the apocalypse." Ms Grant rolls her eyes placing the picture back down onto the desk and eying the man who kept his eyes on her the whole time.

"Happy to see you too, Cat. You look lovely, considering the end is nigh." He eyes her boots, skirt and blouse before he gives her a cocky grin.

You can't help but grimace at his sickeningly sweet smile that he throws her way. "Again why is he free?" You throw your arms up dramatically finally freeing Kara from her daze.

She rips her gaze from the window and marches up to Max. "Why weren't you affected?" She questions clearly confused to why out of all people she was stuck with him and her boss.

He taps his technology and smiles. "Ion blockers. I realized the Kryptonians were using my LTE interface system. That's why they broke into my lab over Christmas. They're using my satellites to send neural signals directly into the minds of everyone in National City. These scramble the signal before they reach my brain."

Cat slides from the desk and takes a closer look at the blockers but she frowns in confusion. "Well, clearly, not everybody needs this ear-wig thingy, because I don't have one and my brain is perfectly intact."

He smiles reaching his hand out to cup her face causing a sense of anger to bubble up to the surface, you continue to watch almost frozen at his movements. Cat watches in shock but he moves his hand to tug the string of hair behind her ear giving you all a better view of her earrings. "I see you got the earrings I sent you last night"

Cat clicks her tongue and steps back letting his hand fall back to his side. "Oh, I get it. Ion blockers in the diamonds?"

What doesn't surprise you is that Max isn't happy with the distance between them but he meets your glare obviously unaffected by it he smiles back towards Cat. "Mmm-hmm. Oh, so many karats and yet so functional" he lets out a small chuckle as he leans in slightly over to her. "Didn't seem right for the world to lose Cat Grant's mind."

You clear you throat as Cat shuffled in her step escaping further from his shadow. "If you're done flirting." You had the attention of the room again and Cat smiled weakly although Max just grinned wider at your annoyance. "Why did it affect superman and not us?"