New beginnings

The tv was big enough to spot the woman you had been missing. You stopped suddenly dropping the file that you had been working on towards the carpet where it's documents scatter the floor, that wasn't making it to Lena anytime soon. You stood in the middle of the workplace all eyes on cat Grant on the news, it had been the first time since you had even heard anything from her since last week when she had disappeared from the face of the earth. "Ms. Grant! (CAT)" a report calls out gaining the attention of the older woman. "Does President Marsdin believe climate change is real?"

Cat lets out a chuckle in disbelief at such a question and your stomach twists missing the laugh escaping her nude lips. "Uh, yes. Yes, Carl. As a matter of fact, she does. She also believes that two plus two equals four and the Earth is round because the President is not a moron. Any third grader knows that global warming is the biggest threat of our time. And I'm happy to report that the intellectual capacity of our President is not inferior to that of an eight year old. Next question."

James makes his way to your side and gazes up to the monitor your eyes are stuck to "I knew Ms. Grant was meant for great things, but National City is gonna miss her." He spoke only then spotting the files on the floor and look back at your lingering gaze with confusion. You had been completely infatuated with her unexpected presence.

You sigh but you don't bother looking at him. "you know I was just starting to like her." And it was true although there wasn't a doubt about it, you had liked her since the dinner. 

"Best Press Secretary since Robert Gibbs." Winn spoke up picking up your files and holding them against his chest.

"Yeah." You breath out although politics wasn't your thing but Cat Grant just made it much more interesting to you.

"She makes Gibbs look like a hall monitor." James counters back.

Kara sighs walking in as she sips on her coffee. "With Ms. Grant in D.C. and Snapper on sabbatical, it's going to be oddly congenial around here." She had been feeling rather refreshed since Lena's ownership of CatCo although makes it difficult to tell Lena how she really felt when she was now her boss something that even you struggled with when Cat was about.

Lena smiles spotting all you lingering out side her office and takes the second coffee from Karas hand as she glances up to where cat is still answering stupid questions. "Well, we will do our best. Okay, guys. Look alive." The tv goes to break and you tear away your attention grabbing the file from Winn and heading straight to your desk dropping it in the completed pile. "All right, we're about a week away from locking up this issue, so I need to know what's going on. What's up with sports?" Lena asks as she gestures everyone to gather round the front of her office doors.

"As of last night, the Metropolis Monarchs officially have the worst record in baseball." James offers looking down to his written notes, since the writers had been down, James had been out taking notes and photos with the others.

Lena nods and continues to ask the rest of the room. "Crime?"

"There's not much to cover. Crime's been down 79% over the past six months. Supergirl and Captain super have turned the entire city around"

Lena then snaps her gaze over to Kara who's watching your moves cautiously as you do your best to pay attention but this wasn't really your forte and cat Grant had your mind pacing left and right. "Which brings me to my next point... How are you doing on that exclusive with Captain super and ssupergirl's fight?" Lena asks receiving Karas attention but also your own as you burst from your little bubble of a headspace.

Kara shakes her head and chuckled nervously under Lenas piercing gaze. "Oh, uh, Supergirl's been too busy to have a one-on-one conversation about the fight."

Lena sighs crossing her hands across her chest. "It's needed for this weeks page, I'm relying on you Kara." She points out making Karas frown deepen. She didn't want to let Lena down but having to talk about the fight became a difficult task especially since you weren't the one speaking a word about that day.

"I'll do my best."

Lena smiles at Karas attempt. "Well, you have your assignments, right? Let's get to work." She claps her hands and then disappears into the office to catch up on some L-corp paperwork that she had no time to do, she really needed a second assistant.

"Y/n..." it's then you notice that Kara hadn't left but waited until everyone else had as she leans over your desk awkwardly trying to gain your attention.

You lift your head to focus on her straightening up her glasses on the bridge of her nose. "Hey, are you sure that you're okay for me to write this or is this going to bring up some old stuff?"

"I said I was Okay." You explained once again, dropping your hands into your lap under your desk.

"Well, I'm here when you wanna talk or we can go grab a drink..." she stammered.

"Do you want me to answer your questions for this article or grab a drink?" You asked arching a brow.

Kara sighs in defeat. "Okay. Listen, I'm sorry okay."

Watching her frown made you realise that this displacement of anger was affecting her as much as it was killing you. "Kara you have nothing to be sorry for, I didn't mean to snap I just this article." Your explained sincerely.

Kara smiled weakly "I know but we just have to tell the truth. We know more than anybody, how much ass We have been kicking lately, I just think you're avoiding me." Kara expressed feeling left from your life lately.

"Kara I just-."

She wasn't having it and cut your thought off. "Just come for a drink with me because every plan I make you avoid." She pleads with her wide puppy dog eyes that you roll your own at.

"Fine." You huff giving into her pestering.

Kara fist pumps but the radio drags your attention away from her ridiculous victory. "breaking news this morning. There are reports of a burglary in Old Town"

"I should get this." You stood up and took off to the empty office block where you quickly changed and headed into the city letting Kara finish up her work. Lena wouldn't even notice your disappearance as she fell deep into her own work bubble undisturbed.

—-

"Reporting from downtown National City, it seems Captain Super has been just about everywhere these days. Maybe he should Take a page from his sisters book." The tv goes dead and Kara throws the remote down onto Winns desk with a sigh.
"I'm worried about him"

"Me too but I don't know what else We can do." Winn explained. "Maybe it brought up a lot of his past and by the look of it it wasn't all good" he suggested but of course his knowledge of krypton was quite hazy but of course they were never going to receive any answers from y/n himself.

"I know but this hatred? My mother made a mistake, there are worse people in the world."

"As frustrating as this is we're not the ones that went through what he did. I think patience is the least we can offer. Agreed?" He pushes, wanting to be there for the both of them. He struggled to see both sides but it was the best he could do as your friend.

Kara let's out another sigh as Winn rests a hand on her shoulder as an offering of comfort. "Call me selfish, but I just... I really miss my brother sometimes." Kara whispered leaning against Winn's embrace.