Unexpected

Sorry for the long wait. Enjoy this update.

"My daughter is so inspired by you. A female surgeon who is triple specialized. You are remarkable." A guest compliments me.

"That is very sweet of you." I smile back.

"How do you make it all work?"

"I can honestly say it doesn't always work every second of every day. But I have a very supportive husband who we communicate very well with each other. Some days we have more together than others but having a solid support system helps too." I answer.

"And your husband he's the head of Plastics right?"

"That is correct."

"And he left private practice in New York?"

"Uh yes he..."

"Because I needed a fresh start and I'm damn lucky I reconnected with the love of my life." Mark comes over and plants a kiss on my cheek. Everyone oohs and awes at us.

"How proud are you of your wife and everything she's accomplished?" One guest asks.

"If I have to put it into simples words I'm always amazed how she exceeds every expectation." He pulls me close and I feel calmer having him here with me.

"So Dr. Benoist you would need donations to..."

"Pediatrics, Orthopedic, and fetal surgery departments." I answer.

"I would be happy to write those checks."

"See that's my wife getting all the donations so she can continue to do amazing things!" Mark cheers me on.

"Dr. Sloan, I am very interested in learning more about your facial reconstruction project?" One of the guests asks Mark and he winks at me.

"Let's get a drink and I'll tell you all about it. It's ground breaking work."

__________________________________
"Hey!" I find Alex by the bar. "Where have you been? Arizona is no where to be found and...I am literally the only one who is getting donations for the peds department. I have three departments to fundraise money for and it's..." I notice Alex is not paying attention. "Alex." I call out his name. "Alex!"

"What?"

"Did you hear anything I said?"

"Uh...sorry I have a lot on my mind." He answers and I can tell by the look on his face something is really bothering him.

"Want..."

"Another whiskey soda." Cristina comes up to the bar.

"That's your fifth one." The bartender comments.

"She works hard for these drinks." I snap at him. "No judgement." I fire back and he pour Cristina her drink.

"I'm not drinking." Cristina informs us. "Gotta stay sharp. This is for the C.F.O of A.E.C. Interactive. Got him on the ropes. Every drink he knocks back is another zero added to the check I collect at the end of the night."

"Damn that's better than my strategy." I comment.

"What are you like actually talking to them?" Cristina asks.

"Well yes."

"And you grew up in this world. I expected better from you."

"Do not test me Cristina. I'm very pregnant and I could unleash hell on you right now." I threaten her.

"I would offer you a drink but..." She looks to my belly.

"I hate you."

"You love me." She smiles back.