Over The Line

I hated the custody episode. It made me so mad at Callie and what she allowed her lawyer to say attacking Arizona.

3rd Person POV

"You're the Chief of Surgery." Carpio addresses Bailey. "Doctor's Robbins and Torres report to you."

"That is correct." Bailey confirms.

"And for those of us who aren't surgeons, Dr. Torres operates on bones while Dr. Robbins operates on babies."

"Well, children, babies, and fetuses." Bailey corrects.

"How does the schedule of an orthopedic surgeon compare to that of a fetal surgeon?" Carpio asks.

"It varies day by day."

"I see, but in your opinion, which specialty has more unscheduled surgeries? Ortho or fetal?"

"There's really no comparison."

"But Dr. Robbins' schedule is dictated by the unpredictable nature of childbirth, is it not?" Carpio tries to ask the question in a different way.

"Objection. Speculation." Bailey says.

"She can't do that." Carpio says to Judge Kane.

"You can't do that." Judge Kane tells Bailey.

"I asked if Dr. Robbins' schedule is dictated by the unpredictable nature of childbirth." Carpio repeats.

"Objection. Speculation." Gamble stands up. Bailey motions to the lawyer, saying, see, I was right.

"Your Honor, I'm asking an expert witness her opinion. It's only speculation if counsel is calling into question the expertise of this witness as Chief."

"Overruled. Counselor, proceed." Judge Kane says.

"Dr. Robbins' schedule is unpredictable, wouldn't you say?" Bailey looks to Arizona.

"It can be yes. Any surgeon's..."

"Sure, but how many unscheduled emergency procedures did Dr. Robbins log over the past six months?" Carpio interrupts Bailey.

"I have no idea."

"I would like to introduce into evidence Document 2C." Carpio passes the documents around. "Take a look. This might refresh your memory. What is that report, Doctor?"

"This is a list of emergency procedures performed by Dr. Robbins and Dr. Torres for the past six months." Bailey answers.

"And according to that document, how many emergency procedures did Dr. Torres log in the past six months?

"Uh..." Bailey looks through the document. "27."

"27. And how many did Dr. Robbins log?" Bailey gives the lawyer a look as she sees what she's doing.

"92." Bailey shakes her head.

"Now, even for a surgeon, wouldn't you call that kind of schedule grueling?"

"You can say that. I wouldn't." Bailey argues. "I would say it's wildly successful, but then I would never put a woman's success in the con column. " Bailey fires back.

"What about her daughter, though? 92. Ninety-two times she dropped everything Sofia included to go to a job."

"Would you ask that if she were a man?" Bailey fires back. "I know you wouldn't. I'm sorry this room is full of women doctors and lawyers. We all have successful and demanding jobs, but that doesn't make us bad mothers, friends, wives, or people." Bailey argues.