D.C. and Sadness

I loved this chapter so much and I hope you all enjoy reading it. What are your predictions for season 18?

Mark's POV

"You're gonna have to talk to me at some point, Mark

"You're gonna have to talk to me at some point, Mark." Derek follows me down the hall.

"I'll choose the latter." I fire back.

"Okay, why are you mad at me?" He asks, now blocking my path.

"Because you're a selfish and ungrateful ass!"

"Mark, that's uncalled for."

"Is it? Tell me, Derek, are you still pinning over working for the President?"

"That is not fair..."

"You took the job and then turned it down, and now you feel like your life is over. It's a job, Derek. There are more things that are important."

"This was the job of a lifetime. Another one will not come around!"

"Well, you should be thankful that your kids are healthy!" I fire back, not being able to lose it.

"I...Gen told me about Theo."

"And knowing that you haven't reached out. You haven't asked me if I am okay."

"I... I've been busy and..."

"Bullshit. We talked the moment you and Grey were on the outs when she took Zola. I was there for you, and you haven't been there for me."

"Gen said you guys were fine."

"Gen will always say that in order to keep others from worrying about us. But I'm dying inside!"

"Mark..."

"My son has a genetic disease that will cause him to lose all motor and cognitive function earlier than latter. My son Derek. This is my child, and...there is nothing I can do about it."

"I... I'm working on developing a cure with your wife. I don't know if she..."

"Of course I know, Derek! She's my freaking wife. We tell each other everything."

"Everything? I doubt that. I mean..."

"Just because you and Grey have secrets does not mean the rest of us do." I argue.

"Because you're just so perfect." Derek mocks me.

"No, but I love my family more than anything. I would do anything for them." I declare.

"And I don't? I love my family, Mark. I am staying in Seattle for my family!"

"And was uprooting them to D.C. for them or just you?" I question. He's speechless. "UCLA offered me a job offer that any plastic surgeon could dream of. I had full access to their state-of-the-art facilities. I was offered the keys to the plastics capital of the world. I turned it down."